Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,561 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dead Spot in Camera Sensor

Tip us?

RCDheliracer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Dead Spot in Camera Sensor

Ok, question for you guys. I noticed this weekend that my camera sensor has a dead spot in it. If I purchased the phone through AT&T, do you think they would take care of it at the store or would I have to send it to HTC? I'll attach some pics of the spot.

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1996.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	2767535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1997.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	2767536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1998.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	2767537  

RCDheliracer
Old
(Last edited by RCDheliracer; 28th May 2014 at 04:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1319

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDheliracer View Post
Ok, question for you guys. I noticed this weekend that my camera sensor has a dead spot in it. If I purchased the phone through AT&T, do you think they would take care of it at the store or would I have to send it to HTC? I'll attach some pics of the spot.

Thanks for your help
I think the camera is fine. You just have a law enforcement drone surveilling you.

You made sure they are not dead LCD pixels? Take it to AT&T first, but if it is after 30 days, they will likely make you deal with HTC.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

The Following User Says Thank You to GSLEON3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RCDheliracer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3 View Post
I think the camera is fine. You just have a law enforcement drone surveilling you.

You made sure they are not dead LCD pixels? Take it to AT&T first, but if it is after 30 days, they will likely make you deal with HTC.
Lol, The UFO/Drone thought did cross my mind.

It's definitely sensor as these pics are, pretty much, directly form the camera.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3 View Post

Take it to AT&T first, but if it is after 30 days, they will likely make you deal with HTC.
They changed the in-store return policy some time ago. You only have 14 days to swap in-store for a new device. After that, you go through AT&T warranty department and will probably get a refurbished M8.

But you don't ever have to deal directly with HTC, if you purchased from AT&T.

I assume OP has checked the glass on both cameras to make sure its not just some dirt or dust on the surface of the glass? I've also noticed a spec of dust under the glass ("inside" the phone) but in front of the actual camera module (top camera), on my M8. It seems to be out of the way, and can't be seen in photos. Although its possible it will move in the future, and be seen in pics. Can you see anything like that inside? Not something you can fix easily. But at least might give you an idea what is going on.

Otherwise, maybe it is a defect of the camera sensor itself, as the OP mentioned.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RCDheliracer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
They changed the in-store return policy some time ago. You only have 14 days to swap in-store for a new device. After that, you go through AT&T warranty department and will probably get a refurbished M8.

But you don't ever have to deal directly with HTC, if you purchased from AT&T.

I assume OP has checked the glass on both cameras to make sure its not just some dirt or dust on the surface of the glass? I've also noticed a spec of dust under the glass ("inside" the phone) but in front of the actual camera module (top camera), on my M8. It seems to be out of the way, and can't be seen in photos. Although its possible it will move in the future, and be seen in pics. Can you see anything like that inside? Not something you can fix easily. But at least might give you an idea what is going on.

Otherwise, maybe it is a defect of the camera sensor itself, as the OP mentioned.
Yes, I have checked the glass on the camera to make sure it's not that. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's a dead spot or debris on my sensor. I'm leaning towards dead spot though as I've tapped the phone on a hard surface and the spot doesn't move. Guess I'll bring it into AT&T and see what they say.

Thank you