Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 44,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting and ROMS

Tip us?

go4bacon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Rooting and ROMS

I am really new to this, so I apologize if I seem ignorant. Last time I went down this road, I didn't do my research and accidentally messed up the stock recovery. I am now unrooted and running the following:

AT&T Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Build: KOT49H.I337UCUFNC1

Here's what I want to do:
  • Root my device
  • Install SafeStrap recovery (I don't know if this is still compatible since the KitKat update)
  • Use SafeStrap to run a custom ROM that's closer to stock android. Maybe CM or something AOSP based. Like I said, I don't know much about this.

Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm just getting really tired of TouchWiz. Up until now I've just been sideloading Google Now Launcher and some other stock apps like the Clock and Calculator. Once again, I apologize for my ignorance - I'm still working on learning more about this. Thanks in advance!

netomel
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4bacon View Post
I am really new to this, so I apologize if I seem ignorant. Last time I went down this road, I didn't do my research and accidentally messed up the stock recovery. I am now unrooted and running the following:

AT&T Galaxy S4
Android 4.4.2
Build: KOT49H.I337UCUFNC1

Here's what I want to do:
  • Root my device
  • Install SafeStrap recovery (I don't know if this is still compatible since the KitKat update)
  • Use SafeStrap to run a custom ROM that's closer to stock android. Maybe CM or something AOSP based. Like I said, I don't know much about this.

Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm just getting really tired of TouchWiz. Up until now I've just been sideloading Google Now Launcher and some other stock apps like the Clock and Calculator. Once again, I apologize for my ignorance - I'm still working on learning more about this. Thanks in advance!
I don't know if you went down this road before since your questions don't show.
1. You can't install custom recoveries or roms on the build you have.
2. You can only downgrade to Mk2 to root since it's imposible to root on your present build.
On the general section there are a few threads that guide you to downgrade ,root, and flash compatible roms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rhymey
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4bacon View Post
Maybe CM or something AOSP based. Like I said, I don't know much about this.
Not gonna happen, at least for now. The best you could do is PurifieD which completely trashes TouchWiz's theme. You'd also have to follow the steps here to get root on NC1. I'd advise against taking the bootloader but I believe you already have it if you took NC1 OTA. Then you could flash PurifieD over your stock slot in Safestrap 3.72.

Basically:
  • Root via downgrading to MK2
  • Flash rooted NC1 (no BL)
  • Install and boot into Safestrap 3.72, flash PurifieD (wipe not necessary)
  • If you wish to keep Knox happy with 0x0, do not let PurifieD modify the kernel during the Aroma installer
  • Flash an i337 build.prop in order to get 4G LTE working again (you have service without this, but this lets you access LTE again) (you can find this here!)
  • Flash the WiFi module in order to get wifi working again (WiFi will NOT work unless you flash this) (you can find this here!)
  • (Optional, I had to do this as I had issues with keeping root on PurifieD, though you might not!) Flash SuperSU again (you can find this here!

Feel free to ask for more help if anything was not clear!