Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Car Mode Alternative?

Tip us?

diehardbattery
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Car Mode Alternative?

Let me preface this by saying that I wanted to post this in the apps section but there's only 4 threads there LOL...

My Note 3 and my wife's S4 (if I remember correctly) had Handsfree Mode which would read aloud texts while connected to the bluetooth in the car. Since the S5 does not have this feature on AT&T, I'm looking for alternatives? There's one app that I used a long time ago called Text By Voice. What I didn't like about that is it kept the bluetooth connection in "listening" mode all the time, so you couldn't listen to the radio, or anything else... Or maybe there could be a way to get this working with Google Now a la Moto X style?

natefish
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Check out Agent. It's driving mode does what you are asking and is quite smart about it. It will enact automatically. It can do other phone controls, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.tryagent

Sent from my GS5
The Following User Says Thank You to natefish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

diehardbattery
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by natefish View Post
Check out Agent. It's driving mode does what you are asking and is quite smart about it. It will enact automatically. It can do other phone controls, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.tryagent

Sent from my GS5
Seems flawed... I sent the developer the following message:

While I do like the driving agent. I don't like the fact that I can only have one Bluetooth profile though. I have 3 vehicles and would like it to work on all of them not just some. I have been somewhat able to work around this with trigger. When an SMS comes through the driving agent, it will play through the vehicles audio but then switches to the phones speaker for replies. It also seems to be killing the battery somehow. In the battery settings, android system stays on even when the agent is not active.

diehardbattery
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Any other alternatives?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk