FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

E970 hardware fault? Unable to register on network

117 posts
Thanks Meter: 17
 
By amrando, Senior Member on 27th May 2014, 06:51 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
hi all-

It appears my E970 may have kicked the bucket. I have been running CM11 for months now, on Sunday the phone gave a BSOD unexpectedly. This happens about once a month or so with CM, no big deal- or so I thought.

However since then I am unable to register on the Rogers network. My phone simply stays in Emergency Calls Only mode. Wifi works fine, Bluetooth, I am able to browse, read emails, play music.. everything works EXCEPT being able to register on the cellular network, make phone calls and send texts. I cannot manually register the network or in automatic. I have contacted support, tried different APNs, replaced the Rogers SIM and now tried a Telus SIM as well- all the same result; the phone is unable to register to the network. Now I have also done a factory wipe and reload of CM11 M6 for the E970, still the same result.

Since the E970 is a sealed phone with the side-port for SIM & mSD, what is the likelihood of the SIM card socket being damaged, or a radio being faulty? I have recently issues with the SD-card randomly dismounting, is this an indicator the card readers may have been failing?

Since the Optimus G is only ~18 months old, this may be the first phone I've ever had that hardware failed before I replaced it.. Has anybody else had similar hardware issues with reading SIMs or network registration? Was the BSOD a cause, or symptom?
Last edited by amrando; 27th May 2014 at 10:26 PM.
 
 
28th May 2014, 03:44 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrando

hi all-

It appears my E970 may have kicked the bucket. I have been running CM11 for months now, on Sunday the phone gave a BSOD unexpectedly. This happens about once a month or so with CM, no big deal- or so I thought.

However since then I am unable to register on the Rogers network. My phone simply stays in Emergency Calls Only mode. Wifi works fine, Bluetooth, I am able to browse, read emails, play music.. everything works EXCEPT being able to register on the cellular network, make phone calls and send texts. I cannot manually register the network or in automatic. I have contacted support, tried different APNs, replaced the Rogers SIM and now tried a Telus SIM as well- all the same result; the phone is unable to register to the network. Now I have also done a factory wipe and reload of CM11 M6 for the E970, still the same result.

Since the E970 is a sealed phone with the side-port for SIM & mSD, what is the likelihood of the SIM card socket being damaged, or a radio being faulty? I have recently issues with the SD-card randomly dismounting, is this an indicator the card readers may have been failing?

Since the Optimus G is only ~18 months old, this may be the first phone I've ever had that hardware failed before I replaced it.. Has anybody else had similar hardware issues with reading SIMs or network registration? Was the BSOD a cause, or symptom?


UPDATE: While digging through the service menu, I've discovered the IMEI has been wiped to 0. So, how is this recoverable on an E970? Does CWM generate EFS backups?
Last edited by amrando; 28th May 2014 at 03:52 AM.
28th May 2014, 04:42 AM |#3  
Maverick923's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrando

UPDATE: While digging through the service menu, I've discovered the IMEI has been wiped to 0. So, how is this recoverable on an E970? Does CWM generate EFS backups?

I could be wrong, but as far as I know you need a Jtag to repair the IMEI. I have been able to repair IMEI's that way.
28th May 2014, 05:25 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick923

I could be wrong, but as far as I know you need a Jtag to repair the IMEI. I have been able to repair IMEI's that way.

so essentially, it's bricked and I will have to send it back in to LG to get its EFS partition reloaded? Or is there a method I can use to generate it? The phone boots, loads CM and runs everything else including wifi and bluetooth, it just has no IMEI.

How does a subsystem crash BSOD erase my IMEI anyways? Shouldn't this be hardcoded?
Last edited by amrando; 28th May 2014 at 05:28 PM.
28th May 2014, 05:34 PM |#5  
Maverick923's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrando

so essentially, it's bricked and I will have to send it back in to LG to get its EFS partition reloaded? Or is there a method I can use to generate it? The phone boots, loads CM and runs everything else including wifi and bluetooth, it just has no IMEI.

How does a subsystem crash BSOD erase my IMEI anyways?

I am not sure, but perhaps a call to LG, or the local repair shop can correct your issue. You can check CL to see if there is anyone around.
As far as the IMEI itself goes, I would imagine it would be written on the box or you should be able to get it from the phone service provider.
So once you have that, you just need someone to write it to the phone. Maybe you wont need a Jtag. That's just how I have repaired them, but there maybe another way. Just remember that google is your friend.
28th May 2014, 11:23 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick923

I am not sure, but perhaps a call to LG, or the local repair shop can correct your issue. You can check CL to see if there is anyone around.
As far as the IMEI itself goes, I would imagine it would be written on the box or you should be able to get it from the phone service provider.
So once you have that, you just need someone to write it to the phone. Maybe you wont need a Jtag. That's just how I have repaired them, but there maybe another way. Just remember that google is your friend.


Well, I know the restore process exists.. it doesn't much help me, because it appears the EFS backups were stored on the internal storage, which was corrupt or erased. So as I mentioned there, will any full recovery backup contain an EFS backup built-in that I can extract or recover? I have a couple from CWM and an older one from TWRP stored on mSD. The additional problem is; I've already restored one CWM backup and still no IMEI..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bsod, e970, register, sim
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes