Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sprint HTC One M8 H/K - Removing Carrier Bloatware and Unrooting

Tip us?

coyn3burglar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Sprint HTC One M8 H/K - Removing Carrier Bloatware and Unrooting

Hi - I have a rooted Sprint HTC One M8 H/K edition. I rooted and unlocked my phone with the motive to remove Sprint bloatware on the phone. I, however, also need Good for Enterprise to function properly. I attempted to uninstall apps via Titanium Backup, but the Sprint Default Configuration reinstalled the bloatware after a reboot.

My question is: what is the best approach to removing the bloatware and allowing for GFE to work properly as well? Would running a stock H/K remove the bloatware and unroot? Should I just delete the apps and get a root cloak? Or can I remove apps and then unroot or something? I have been seeing S-OFF is useful as well - but not sure if that would endanger my use of Good for Enterprise.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

slimbrady
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyn3burglar View Post
Hi - I have a rooted Sprint HTC One M8 H/K edition. I rooted and unlocked my phone with the motive to remove Sprint bloatware on the phone. I, however, also need Good for Enterprise to function properly. I attempted to uninstall apps via Titanium Backup, but the Sprint Default Configuration reinstalled the bloatware after a reboot.

My question is: what is the best approach to removing the bloatware and allowing for GFE to work properly as well? Would running a stock H/K remove the bloatware and unroot? Should I just delete the apps and get a root cloak? Or can I remove apps and then unroot or something? I have been seeing S-OFF is useful as well - but not sure if that would endanger my use of Good for Enterprise.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks!
I have been reading a bit about GFE as I had not heard of it until reading your post but I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it would not work while rooted? You've already seen how the Sprint Default, among other apps, could cause the bloatware to return so I'd like to see you keep your root (although it IS pretty easy to unroot/root but could get tiresome depending on your level of success) if possible to more easily deal with obstacles you might encounter later.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the stance I take on Windows installations where you need a particular program to work (or many) but do not want any unnecessary services running might be one solution for you..Basically, what I usually do is disable one service at a time then test to see if that particular service disruption had any unforeseen consequences with my other apps and services.

What I think would be easiest for you, though, is finding an "optimized" Sense Rom that has kept most everything in tact but disabled or removed bloat like the Sprint Default and even the connection manager app thing (forget the name) that can be considered unnecessary.

To the best of my knowledge GFE isn't going to quite working properly solely because you've rooted or S-off'd but I'm by no means certain of that as I've never used it so just make sure, whatever you do, you make a nandroid first.^^

And yes, this all would probably be easier for you if you are able to get S-off on your device...especially if you may end up trying out a couple new ROOM.

Hope that helps a little at least! =)
Current Device: Sprint HTC One M8 Harman Kardon edition(Black with Champagne) *S-OFF* (Victim of Sunshine)
Backups: Sprint HTC One M7(m7wls) *S - OFF*(Rumrunner), Sprint HTC EVO 4G - *S-OFF* (Facepalm)
Bricked Paperweights: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE *RIP QWERTY KEYBOARD, I MISS YOU*
Prior Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4,Google Nexus

coyn3burglar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbrady View Post
I have been reading a bit about GFE as I had not heard of it until reading your post but I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it would not work while rooted? You've already seen how the Sprint Default, among other apps, could cause the bloatware to return so I'd like to see you keep your root (although it IS pretty easy to unroot/root but could get tiresome depending on your level of success) if possible to more easily deal with obstacles you might encounter later.

Anyhow, I'm thinking the stance I take on Windows installations where you need a particular program to work (or many) but do not want any unnecessary services running might be one solution for you..Basically, what I usually do is disable one service at a time then test to see if that particular service disruption had any unforeseen consequences with my other apps and services.

What I think would be easiest for you, though, is finding an "optimized" Sense Rom that has kept most everything in tact but disabled or removed bloat like the Sprint Default and even the connection manager app thing (forget the name) that can be considered unnecessary.

To the best of my knowledge GFE isn't going to quite working properly solely because you've rooted or S-off'd but I'm by no means certain of that as I've never used it so just make sure, whatever you do, you make a nandroid first.^^

And yes, this all would probably be easier for you if you are able to get S-off on your device...especially if you may end up trying out a couple new ROOM.

Hope that helps a little at least! =)
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for the input. GFE is my main problem..because I want to permanently delete the bloatware, but need GFE to function properly for work. I'll look into getting the S-off as well.

coyn3burglar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I was able to achieve S-OFF with firewater on my phone. Any thoughts on what my next step should be?

coyn3burglar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I believe I have managed to figure it all out. For reference:

1) Unlocked bootloader w/ HTCdev and installled TWRP and rooted the phone
2) Completed S-OFF with firewater
3) Removed tampered flag (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51711046)
4) Uninstalled Sprint apps with Titanium Backup (I rebooted my phone and confirmed that it was not re-installing)
5) Installed xposed framework and downloaded/installed the xposed module via this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040163) and enabled.
6) Rebooted, installled Good for Enterprise with success.

Thanks for the help - I am happy with what I was able to accomplish. If anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know.

coyn3burglar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry to bump the thread, but is it worth buying the pro version of Titanium Backup in order to be able to "freeze" apps? Thanks.