Ask a question

No registration required

S4 firmware question

OP scheirere

28th May 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

113 posts
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my brother's GS4 to work with his Ford Sync system in his vehicle. According to Ford, the GS4 with ME7 firmware is compatible. However, his rooted phone is on MDK firmware. Can I install that firmware on his phone and will it limit what rom's I can run on it?
28th May 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,267

4,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheirere

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my brother's GS4 to work with his Ford Sync system in his vehicle. According to Ford, the GS4 with ME7 firmware is compatible. However, his rooted phone is on MDK firmware. Can I install that firmware on his phone and will it limit what rom's I can run on it?

If that phone is on MDK it can run anything really without an issue. A ton of options are available for it. I'd suggest a Kit Kat ROM myself... Unless your in love with a certain ME7 based ROM .

Does that phone have a custom recovery on it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

113 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

If that phone is on MDK it can run anything really without an issue. A ton of options are available for it. I'd suggest a Kit Kat ROM myself... Unless your in love with a certain ME7 based ROM .

Does that phone have a custom recovery on it?

Yep, TWRP 2.7.0.1 recovery. It currently is running the AOSP Google Edition ROM, which he is happy with. Can I just change the firmware to ME7 and keep everything else the same?
Thanks!!
28th May 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

113 posts
BTW, that rom is a kitkat 4.4.2 based ROM.

Also, I forgot to ask......If I change the firmware, can I change back if need be? Any downsides to changing from the MDK firmware?
28th May 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,267

4,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yep, TWRP 2.7.0.1 recovery. It currently is running the AOSP Google Edition ROM, which he is happy with. Can I just change the firmware to ME7 and keep everything else the same?
Thanks!!

I'm thinking that maybe Ford Sync works with everything from ME7 and up. I don't think you need to specifically be on ME7.

I've seen others on here running Kit Kat ROMs and having no problems with Ford Sync.

Your list of ME7 based ROMs isn't going to be that big. However you have many many options of 4.3 ( MJ7 & MK2 ) and 4.4 ( NC5 ) ROMs to choose from.

What ROMs have you tried? Some have minor Bluetooth connectivity issues

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #6  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834

2,451 posts
Quote:

BTW, that rom is a kitkat 4.4.2 based ROM.

Also, I forgot to ask......If I change the firmware, can I change back if need be? Any downsides to changing from the MDK firmware?

If you flash a firmware. ..you will lose the mdk. ..so don't do that...you can flash others roms and kernels that won't effect the firmware.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

113 posts
Thanks a bunch guys! That's what I was afraid of, regarding the firmware. Hmm......he was running a different rom before when he had all the issues. We just went to this rom recently and he went back to his GS3 until I could sort this phone out. I'll have him try the GS4 again with this rom and see if it works any better. Thanks again!!
29th May 2014, 03:12 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,579

1,925 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

I'm thinking that maybe Ford Sync works with everything from ME7 and up. I don't think you need to specifically be on ME7.

I've seen others on here running Kit Kat ROMs and having no problems with Ford Sync.

Your list of ME7 based ROMs isn't going to be that big. However you have many many options of 4.3 ( MJ7 & MK2 ) and 4.4 ( NC5 ) ROMs to choose from.

What ROMs have you tried? Some have minor Bluetooth connectivity issues

My GS4 has worked with Sync when running ME7, MI1, MJ7, MK2, and NC5. Never had any issues since I got the phone.
(Sure wish it had been a MDK phone, of course.)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread