Does anyone know how to add some sense features to the gpe rom ?

OP Roefastford

25th May 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35

484 posts
Does anyone know how to add some sense feature to the google play rom ?

Mainly interested in adding sense camera software to a gpe rom, also I would like to know how to make the back button kill the current app like on sense, how to remove the battery icon like sense, and how to just show the battery percentage in numbers only with no battery icon around the numbers like I can on sense roms, also I like the sense dialer over the gpe dialer, another feature would be to be able to hold down the home button to bring up the menu at any time.

I had tried the gpe rom on my old m7 kit kat and these were features that I could not add or figure out how to do with the gpe.

But now being on the m8 I would like to run the gpe but I want the features I listed that I like that I have with sense roms such as the viperone I normally run.

Basically I like how the gpe didnt eat up my phones memory and runs a lot faster and smoother than sense roms.

Either that or if there is a way to remove as much htc crap as possible such as back up and all the garbage I never use, there is so much that it would take me a month to physically go through and try removing then see if it works ok or if I need to unfreeze the htc apps or restore a back up allowing them back on. I already have all the social media stuff removed as much as possible.

I just want a clean rom with no crap that is not 100% required for the rom to run, but yet I still want the sense options that I listed above.

If you do not understand why I want to remove as much bloat as possible, then please do not post on this page, because I do not want anyone asking why trying to say they do not think there is no need to, well please respect that this is my posting and yes you are entitled to your own opinion but you can post whatever you want just please put it on your own posting as I do not want any posting like that, so please respect my posting and post those opinions elsewhere thank you.
27th May 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,138

7,112 posts
Short answer is that porting Sense apps (such as the camera) to GPE or AOSP ROMs can't be done. Longer answer is that the Sense apps are purposely heavily tied to the Sense framework. Technically, just about anything is "possible" but porting it would require many hours of tedious work by the right developer(s) for something that is probably not popularly demanded.

Your best bet may be to try a ROM like Viper, InsertCoin, etc. which have many options to remove various Sense apps and (when applicable) replace them with the "vanilla" Google versions.

Another possibility that I have seen on other devices, is that a developer would release a "de-Sensified" ROM which would still have the Sense framework intact, but remove many of the Sense apps, and giving the ROM an overall GPE/AOSP look and feel, while keeping the features that many folks desire. Of course, there is the rub: what some people may see as "crap" may be desired by others. The camera is the most frequent request. But what Sense components get removed versus what gets kept is subjective. Which just brings me back to a ROM like Viper, InsertCoin, etc. which give you the options to choose for yourself what to remove.
28th May 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Pottstown
Thanks Meter: 344

1,241 posts
More
You are better off staying sense and using Google launcher and Google apps

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
28th May 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

484 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android The Greek

You are better off staying sense and using Google launcher and Google apps

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The thing is though that with the gpe roms the phone is a lot faster and has more free memory. Right now I have to use google voice for personal reasons and with things skimmed down as much as I can the phone is still being slowed down with most of the memory being used. I wish they would have went with 3gigs of memory like samsung. I do a lot of work stuff on my phone and everything I use is what I require, nothing to get rid of other than some htc bloat that I could get away with ditching.
28th May 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

484 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Short answer is that porting Sense apps (such as the camera) to GPE or AOSP ROMs can't be done. Longer answer is that the Sense apps are purposely heavily tied to the Sense framework. Technically, just about anything is "possible" but porting it would require many hours of tedious work by the right developer(s) for something that is probably not popularly demanded.

Your best bet may be to try a ROM like Viper, InsertCoin, etc. which have many options to remove various Sense apps and (when applicable) replace them with the "vanilla" Google versions.

Another possibility that I have seen on other devices, is that a developer would release a "de-Sensified" ROM which would still have the Sense framework intact, but remove many of the Sense apps, and giving the ROM an overall GPE/AOSP look and feel, while keeping the features that many folks desire. Of course, there is the rub: what some people may see as "crap" may be desired by others. The camera is the most frequent request. But what Sense components get removed versus what gets kept is subjective. Which just brings me back to a ROM like Viper, InsertCoin, etc. which give you the options to choose for yourself what to remove.

I already run viperone with as much bloat removed as I can. Only thing left is get rid of htc bloat that I can actually do with out which I have no clue what all I can get rid of htc wise without screwing things up. The only things I like about sense are listed in the first post. I miss my elegancia rom I only use viperone because there is no elegancia.
28th May 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

7,112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roefastford

I already run viperone with as much bloat removed as I can. Only thing left is get rid of htc bloat that I can actually do with out which I have no clue what all I can get rid of htc wise without screwing things up. The only things I like about sense are listed in the first post. I miss my elegancia rom I only use viperone because there is no elegancia.

Try freezing the unwanted apps with Titanium Backup first. Then if you test for a while, and see no ill effects than remove the app in question. Or just keep it frozen. In fact, I don't think there is much benefit to removing vs. freezing in this case.
29th May 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

484 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Try freezing the unwanted apps with Titanium Backup first. Then if you test for a while, and see no ill effects than remove the app in question. Or just keep it frozen. In fact, I don't think there is much benefit to removing vs. freezing in this case.

That would be a very lengthy and painful process to do.
29th May 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

7,112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roefastford

That would be a very lengthy and painful process to do.

The only way around this, that I see, is for someone to tell you one by one what apps/processes are safe to remove or freeze. Someone might know this, and chime in. But the only way they would have found out, would be to do it trial and error as we've already discussed. So you can wait around for something that may or may not happen, or just start doing it yourself. Your choice.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread