Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 54,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone reinitialized ITSELF, internal memory 100% full, need backup

Tip us?

weregoingunion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Storage [Q] Phone reinitialized ITSELF, internal memory 100% full, need backup

Ok, so last night before my wife went to bed she plugged in her phone after it ran out of battery. I was still awake at least a half hour later and noticed the phone boot up. When some time had passed and I noticed the screen was still on, I looked over and noticed that it had booted into the initialization process - like she had just purchased the phone.

So I'm panicking because she has loads of photos on there and I need to save them if possible. The weird part is - and I'm sure this is why this happened - the memory is completely full (I think). Under "Storage" settings it says "Not enough storage space" and under that it shows "Total Space: 10.97GB" and then "Applications: 186GB". So the bar at the top just shows a fraction of green which is applications and nothing else. The rest of the categories it should be showing pop up and disappear every time I re-enter Storage (downloads, pictures, videos, etc) but they are not shown on the top bar.

This phone is NOT rooted. Because it was her phone, I did little to it beyond install a file manager to copy pictures to an external memory card (which rarely worked well.) This file manager is gone and so is every downloaded program.

When I plug the phone into the computer, I have two options: Connect as Camera and Connect as Media Device. When I open explorer it shows a folder "Phone" and says "0 bytes free of 10.8GB." The media device option does the same thing.

I have enabled the USB debugging device option which says that "debugging mode launches when USB is connected" but that changes nothing - I still connect as camera or media device and I still say the same thing.

The only "solutions" I am finding are to download some ****ty spyware invested program to recover files.

At this point, I only want to salvage whatever pictures I can. Nothing else. I am afraid that if I download anything to the phone it is going to start overwriting the "lost" data but maybe not because the phone is still aware it's there. I can't clear up any space either from the phone because the only thing it shows is on it is stock apps. After copying the pictures to a computer I will format it and she can start fresh.

PLEASE give advice on how to simply access the internal storage to copy pictures to my computer. As I've explained I'm kind of at a brick wall, so I need an obvious solution if there is one. Thanks!

weregoingunion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Please help. I have tried everything. I can't even download a File Manager because it says "insufficient space." Because it reinitialized, I *only* have the default apps. There are NOTHING I can delete.

So while the phone is full, the OS is in a fresh state with no possibility to download a program to find pictures and transfer to SD card.

Anyone?

SH4YD33
Old
Thanks Meter 44
If the phone is in fresh state then you should have a gallery application to check to see if you have any photos on the internal memory.

If your photos were on the SD card get a sdcard reader from a store and plug it directly into your pc.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium