Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 45,317 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Which Unlocked S5 model to buy for AT&T?

Tip us?

DontBeAJulioFranco
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Which Unlocked S5 model to buy for AT&T?

I hope I am not duplicating a thread that already exists.

I want to buy a Galaxy S5, but I don't want to buy the AT&T version.

I would prefer to buy an unlocked version that will work with AT&T's LTE.

I know there are various versions on the S5, but I'm just not certain which one is compatible with AT&T's network.

Thanks for any assistance.

xdm9mm
Old
(Last edited by xdm9mm; 28th May 2014 at 04:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 50
I have looked into this a few days back, and it seems the TMobile US version is the best. But if you can wait a little longer, the LG G3 is out which on paper, is better than the S5.

3gb RAM (there is a 2gb RAM version)
Quad HD display (4x than on the S5)
3000mAh battery (user changeable)
Built -in Qi wireless receiver and NFC on the REMOVABLE battery cover (this is by default, unlike crapsung that sells the Qi/NFC enabled battery cover, which makes the phone thicker, and very difficult to find a case that fits)

No Knox to worry about.
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 - better than Tab S

Note 3 Stock ROOTED TW 4.4.2 (XXUEND5) -returned for faulty screen, N900T - returned for faulty screen and buzzing speaker.

Note 2 - Sold

S4 - FNB8 Stock rooted

S3 - TW 4.3 Stock rooted (Still awesome phone)
The Following User Says Thank You to xdm9mm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

damskyc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi, I have the Unlocked SM-G900M (Vodafone version) which works well with AT&T LTE Network (I have Straight Talk). You can root it easily and install most S5 custom ROMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to damskyc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kawaiichi
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I personally has unlocked tmobile version which works fine with at&t lte

mediumsteak
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I would have to disagree and say that the international Snapdragon LTE version is the model you should get if you are planning to buy unlocked!

Why bother to be bogged down by bloatware and craptacular carrier customizations? Why endure long times for software updates?

On another note, I agree with what another guy mentioned, wait for the LG G3!

No, seriously, wait for the G3. Don't let us down.

damskyc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post
I would have to disagree and say that the international Snapdragon LTE version is the model you should get if you are planning to buy unlocked!

Why bother to be bogged down by bloatware and craptacular carrier customizations? Why endure long times for software updates?

But you would be wrong to go this way since the International LTE (SM-G900F) won't work on AT&T LTE Network. LTE Frequencies are different and would be able to get 3G only. The SM-G900M seems to be a good compromise since it allows both 'european' and AT&T frequencies. This is based on my researches, but it may not be totally true since I only tested the M version and AT&T LTE Network.

Quote:
LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900F
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900M
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - SM-G900A
LTE 700/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 - SM-G900T
Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

Quote:
AT&T only uses LTE on the 700 MHz (Band 17) and 1700/2100 MHz (Band 4) frequencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellula...#United_States

xdm9mm
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damskyc View Post
But you would be wrong to go this way since the International LTE (SM-G900F) won't work on AT&T LTE Network. LTE Frequencies are different and would be able to get 3G only. The SM-G900M seems to be a good compromise since it allows both 'european' and AT&T frequencies. This is based on my researches, but it may not be totally true since I only tested the M version and AT&T LTE Network.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellula...#United_States
That is why I said the Tmobile variant is the way to go. Look at your chart, it covers what the "M" version has and adds more...
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 - better than Tab S

Note 3 Stock ROOTED TW 4.4.2 (XXUEND5) -returned for faulty screen, N900T - returned for faulty screen and buzzing speaker.

Note 2 - Sold

S4 - FNB8 Stock rooted

S3 - TW 4.3 Stock rooted (Still awesome phone)

luriert
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak View Post

Just curious but how do you know the AT&T G3 isn't going to have a locked bootloader? I'd be willing to bet it will have one.

Nice specs though

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

byte9
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
Smile First Hand Answer

My entire day today was literally spent A)Selling 900A on Craigslist B)Buying 900T on Craigslist. I broke completely even, $500 sold for and bought for.

Anecdotes aside--

The 900T covers all bands (you can look at the Samsung spec pages if you want source) that the 900A does and just sings. I now have a slimmed down lady that just flies.

The 900T is without question the phone to go with, if ANYBODY says on any forums they are having issues it's software or APN configuration they did incorrectly. Mines perfect and rooted with that sexy unlocked boot loader. I think i'll be staying here for a while.

As for the LG G3 comments, definitely nice specs but i'm not able to f with a device without capacitive buttons. I'm not down with losing screen to OSD bottom buttons.
SM-N900T SIM/BL Unlocked running on AT&T. SO HAPPY.

Don't forget to hit Thanks if I helped you.

"Choose Life" -Trainspotting