Keyboard and mouse sharing with a Windows computer

Search This thread

Mada22009

Dec 27, 2012
Well I've bought the Note 12.2 to boost my productivity and to do that I need to share my PC's mouse and keyboard with it,

I thought of side sync however it turned out the tablet only work as a host for a phone screen and doesn't connect to a host computer.

Then I tried share KM which as far as I can tell never works, tried it on SIII, NoteII, NoteIII, Note 10.1 2014 and never got it to work, still putting hope in it and reading all the great reviews I decided to install it on my 12.2 only to find a message saying that beta test have ended please update the application with no updated version available any where.

Is there any way I can achieve keyboard and mouse sharing between my PC and my 12.2?
Any way to actually achieve that seamless integration between windows and the android tablet just as if it was an extra screen?

UPDATE

Thanks for every one who replied, to make what I need clearer please watch the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVvczhM5KxI

1- Samsung SideSync works when using a phone with a PC or a phone with a tablet, but not using a tablet with a laptop, which I need

2- ShareKM is abandoned and doesn't work any more.

3- Synergy is extremely buggy and takes more time to get it working than it actually operating as intended.

4- after digging deeper i found an app called take control lite, however it requires root access.

Thankfully towel root works brilliantly and doesn't trip Knox so i will try this app and update with the results.

UPDATE 2

Take Control Lite doesn't work with Note Pro for some reason it crashes every time you try to establish a connection.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm confused, are you looking to remotely control your tablet or are you looking to use it as a second display. For the latter I have used Air Display with limited success. I say limited because the resolution of the tablet being high the resulting scale of elements on screen is ridiculously small.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Mada22009

Dec 27, 2012
I'm confused, are you looking to remotely control your tablet or are you looking to use it as a second display. For the latter I have used Air Display with limited success. I say limited because the resolution of the tablet being high the resulting scale of elements on screen is ridiculously small.

thank you for the prompt reply
what i want is something like Samsung Sidesync for my tablet, meaning using the PC's mouse and keyboard to control my 12.2

you can watch the following video to understand it better

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ah. I'm unaware of any working alternatives at this time. Synergy for Android doesn't work on this device as far as I can tell. It looks like ShareKM has been abandoned temporarily. Perhaps contact samsung to inquire about their intentions to support Side Sync on this tablet?

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
well thank you so much for the tool it seems very useful, however it is not what i was looking for, you can refer to the video i posted for a clearer idea of what i require.

thank you so much and really appreciate the help.

So if you want your Note to be like "extra monitor" I can't tell you any apps. Apps I linked earlied was to get tablet screen shown on PC and that way you can use mouse & keyboard on your device. To do kinda this.

Reactions: Mada22009
thank you for the prompt reply
what i want is something like Samsung Sidesync for my tablet, meaning using the PC's mouse and keyboard to control my 12.2

you can watch the following video to understand it better

Uhm, you do know SideSync 3.0 comes pre-installed on this device? :confused:

DZjRZgzl.png

RHj8yRgl.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ctballos

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
Uhm, you do know SideSync 3.0 comes pre-installed in this device? :confused:

Did you read OP:
I thought of side sync however it turned out the tablet only work as a host for a phone screen and doesn't connect to a host computer.

ShadowLea, How many times you have been able to control your Note Pro from your PC through SideSync 3.0? I have succes percent full 0.

I can control my Note 3 with no issues but SideSync on PC wont even find my NPro, so thats it :)

Did you read OP:

ShadowLea, How many times you have been able to control your Note Pro from your PC through SideSync 3.0? I have succes percent full 0.

I can control my Note 3 with no issues but SideSync on PC wont even find my NPro, so thats it :)

I did, but I assumed by 'side sync' he meant the process of side syncing, not the app SideSync. (Note the difference in names..)

I haven't given it a try at all. (As pretty obvious from the first-time launch message in the screenshot :p) It's not something that is of use to me. :)

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
SideSync works differently on phones and tablet. On phones when you connect to a PC it screen mirrors or lets you control the phone with your PC's keyboard and mouse. On tablets, it acts as if the tablet were a PC. Meaning, when you SideSync a phone to a tablet the phone screen mirrors on the tablet and you can control the phone with the tablet's keyboard; including external BT keyboard and mouse if you're using them. You can't screen mirror or control a tablet with a keyboard and mouse from a PC. You can't really do anything with SideSync between a tablet and a PC.

From Samsung Apps...

jsakic

Jan 15, 2008
The only one I know of is Synergy. It works well indeed between PCs .Between Android and PC (what you want) I never tested , it's in alpha and the tablet needs to be rooted.

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007
I'm not sure exactly what OP is trying to accomplish, but logitech makes keyboards (e.g., k810) and mice that can pair with multiple devices and easily switch between them.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm not sure exactly what OP is trying to accomplish, but logitech makes keyboards (e.g., k810) and mice that can pair with multiple devices and easily switch between them.

I wasn't at first either until I saw the video linked in post 3 of this thread. Skip to 1:22 in that video.

Upon looking for other similar solutions I ran across Synergy which is something I'd love to get working on my tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xObZ6zwE2pY

I'm able to get the tablet to connect to synergy on my macbook but the tablet doesnt respond to any inputs from keyboard or mouse when i mouse over to it.

Mada22009

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for every one who replied, to make what I need clearer please watch the following video:

1- Samsung SideSync works when using a phone with a PC or a phone with a tablet, but not using a tablet with a laptop, which I need

2- ShareKM is abandoned and doesn't work any more.

3- Synergy is extremely buggy and takes more time to get it working than it actually operating as intended.

4- after digging deeper i found an app called take control lite, however it requires root access.

Thankfully towel root works brilliantly and doesn't trip Knox so i will try this app and update with the results.

UPDATE

Take Control Lite doesn't work with Note Pro for some reason it crashes every time you try to establish a connection.

Mada22009

Dec 27, 2012
I can't even make mouse to appear on my NP with this.

Synergy server log shows

so mouse is kinda on my tablet, just can't see cursor and can't do anything, lol.
Any help?

Well my friend I am sorry but I also didn't have any luck getting it to work, with several types of totally random bugs, for now i could only advice you not to use it :)

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Barry. I tried this with my MacBook Pro using the chrome browser method and it works Ok in Wifi mode but disconnects repeatedly on the USB side. The windows standalone application is fantastic though and works well for me on my windows machine. Typing this right now using it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry I'm essentially bumping an old thread but I thought I would share that the app DeskDock does this and works amazingly and is very easy to set up, especially if you already use adb.
    just download the app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floriandraschbacher.deskdock.free&hl=en
    (Note that the pro version is required to use your keyboard, the free version only shares the mouse)
    then download the computer (Windows, MAC and Linux supported) server from here: http://fdmobileinventions.blogspot.com/p/deskdock-server.html

note that you will need usb debugging enabled, ADB drivers and ADB installed for this to work.

once you are set up you can use the computer server options to arrange where your tablet is in relation to the monitors and then you just move your mouse offscreen like you would move to a secondary display.
    I actually use this at work with my tablet below and between my two physical monitors and my phone to the left on a dock.
    My Working (almost ideal) Setup!

I finally have a setup I'm satisfied with. It was quite a bit of work, and it may not be worth it to some people, but just in case it is, here's how I did it.

I simply could not get anything to work on the stock ROM. Even with root, I was constantly running into permissions issues, which I believe were related to KNOX/SELinux. What finally worked for me was to completely wipe out the stock ROM and install CM12. The unofficial CM12 port for the Galaxy Note Pro is amazingly stable.

First a few caveats:

• I am not an Android developer. I make no guarantee these instructions will work for you. I'm just sharing what worked for me in the hope it will help someone. I'm not responsible for bricked devices.
    • All the instructions below are for the SM-P900 (wifi-only version) ONLY. You will need to find the right versions of CF Auto-Root and TWRP on your own if using a different device.
    • This will void your warranty several times over (obviously). Proceed only if you are comfortable with that fact.
    • With these steps, you will lose multi-window support, all of Samsung's "S" and TouchWiz apps, and S-Pen button support (the pen itself still works fine and shows a cursor when hovering just like stock - just no response to button presses). I'm completely fine with the first two, and only slightly miss the S-Pen button support.
    • You will also gain the most up-to-date, closest to plain-vanilla Android experience available for the Galaxy Note Pro.

I probably went into way more detail than any of you needs, but I figured it'd be better to have too much information than too little.

0. Get Drivers
    Download the official Samsung USB drivers and install them: http://d-h.st/QJKA

1. Root
    I don't think this step is really needed, but it's the only way you can backup your apps (with Titanium Backup) before wiping. So do this first if you want to have backups.

1. Download the CF Auto-Root file for your device (and unzip it somewhere): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50498424&postcount=235
    2. Download Odin (and unzip it somewhere): http://d-h.st/85j
    3. Power down your tablet.
    4. Power on in download mode.
      1. Hold down the VolumeDown button.
      2. Without letting go of the VolumeDown button, press the Power button until you see a prompt to continue.
      3. Press VolumeUp to proceed. You should now see the Download screen.
    5. Connect your tablet to your computer via USB.
      1. Wait for Windows to setup your table with the right drivers.
      2. Do not proceed if there are any errors installing drivers.
    6. Right-click the Odin executable and click "Run as Administrator".
    7. Make sure your tablet shows up in one of the slots.
    8. Click the AP button and open the .tar.md5 file from the unzipped CF Auto-Root file.
    9. Click Start.
    10. Wait until the status display says "SUCCESS".
    11. Backup what you need with Titanium Backup.

2. TWRP
    In order to install CM12, you need TWRP.

1. Download the Odin-flashable TWRP 2.8.1.1 file: http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp2/v1awifi/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.1.1-v1awifi.img.tar
      1. I had issues with 2.8.3.0 and 2.8.0.0 (it would crash when wiping internal data). Everything worked the first time with 2.8.1.1.
    2. Flash the .tar file in Odin exactly the same way as CF Auto-Root above EXCEPT: Uncheck Auto Reboot
    3. When Odin is finished, hold the Power button down until the screen goes blank.
    4. Boot into recovery.
      1. Hold down the VolumeUp button.
      2. Without letting go of the VolumeUp button, press the Power button until you see the Galaxy Note Pro logo screen.
      3. The next thing you should see is TWRP. If not, your changes will be reverted by the stock ROM and you need to flash TWRP again.
    5. Wipe Cache/Dalvik.
    6. Reboot into the system and make sure everything's ok.

3. CM12
    1. Download CM12 (link is for 20150104 build): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6nm7Jks0W5OTVHbzVZaDRPU1E/view?usp=sharing (md5: ba357fdec7590ef109d6e2a24bca5cd8)
    2. Download Gapps (optional): http://xdaforums.com/paranoid-android/general/gapps-official-to-date-pa-google-apps-t2943900
    3. Download SuperSU: http://download.chainfire.eu/641/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.40.zip
    4. Copy all files to your SD card or USB OTG drive.
    5. Boot your tablet into recovery.
    6. Wipe everything except External SD and USB OTG (advanced wipe).
    7. Install the CM12 zip, and add Gapps (optional) and SuperSU via the Add Zips button.
    8. Boot up into an amazing ROM!

4. Linux Deploy
    Now comes the part we really should have been able to start with. This will install a full Linux desktop environment on your tablet by chrooting to a loop device. It's not running a full Virtual Machine separate from Android. It's running Linux inside Android, which allows it to be much more efficient.

1. Install Linux Deploy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy
    2. Launch it.
    3. Press the Download button near the top-right (down arrow going into a shallow box).
    4. Enter these settings:
      • Distribution: Ubuntu
      • Distribution suite: utopic
      • Architecture: armhf
      • Installation type: File
      • Installation path: Whatever you like, I put in '/storage/sdcard1/ubuntu/ubuntu.img'
      • Image size (MB): I put 8000 because I have plenty of space and wanted some wiggle room, but the finished product takes up less than 1GB on my tablet, so you might be fine with just 2000MB. "Auto" did not work for me.
      • File System: ext4
      • User name: whatever you want
      • Desktop environment: Your choice. I liked LXDE the best (very light-weight).
      • Graphics subsystem: VNC
      • GUI Settings:
        • Depth (bits): 24
        • DPI: 124
        • Width: 1280
        • Height: 800
      • Press Install (at the top of the settings list).
    5. Wait a long time and everything should work. You should see "<<< end: install" with no error messages above it.
    6. Press Start near the top-right.
    7. Wait a few seconds and you should see "<<< end: start" with no error messages above it.
    8. Now you're ready to connect to your Linux desktop!

5. VNC
    Next you need to install a VNC client. I tried a bunch. I was looking for three main things:

1. Essential: Must show remote cursor (we'll be sharing the mouse/keyboard via Synergy - not using it from the tablet).
    2. High quality, no compression, graphics. There's no network lag to worry about, usual VNC compression will only create lag.
    3. Full Screen capability. I didn't want the Android Status bar taking up screen space.

I chose Desktop VNC - Remote Display. You might find a better one.

1. Install Desktop VNC - Remote Display: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reka.vnchid.ui
    2. Open Desktop VNC
    3. Press Create new profile and enter these settings:
      1. Operating System: Linux
      2. IP Address: localhost
      3. Password: changeme
      4. Profile name: Ubuntu
    4. Press Save
    5. Press Ubuntu
    6. You're in!

Tapping the screen left clicks exactly where you tap. You can swipe down from the top of the screen to bring up other mouse options. Be careful to start your swipe just below the top of the screen so that you don't just show the Android Status Bar. You can swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up keyboard input options.

6. Synergy
    You need to install Synergy on your tablet's Linux desktop to share the keyboard and mouse from your host computer and make it like a second display. You'll first need to install Synergy on the computer you will be sharing your keyboard and mouse from (server). Synergy is free software available for every major desktop OS. They've started charging for downloads ($10 once per person, free forever thereafter), but you can find them hosted elsewhere if you really don't want to support the developer (it is AMAZING software).

Configure your server to put 'galaxynotepro' where you'll be placing your tablet relative to the host computer.

1. Click the Menu button at the bottom left of the screen (it's the button with the LXDE logo).
    2. Go to Accessories --> LXTerminal.
    3. Bring up your keyboard by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
    4. Enter:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synergy
    5. Enter 'Y' if asked to continue.
    6. When finished, close the terminal and go to Menu --> Accessories --> Synergy.
    7. Choose Client (Add to existing setup), and click Next.
    8. Click Edit --> Settings.
      • Check Automatically start server/client.
      • Screen name: galaxynotepro
      • OK
    9. Enter Server IP: Enter the IP address of the computer you will be sharing your keyboard and mouse from.
    10. Click Start.
    11. Enjoy your second screen!

To get the VNC client cursor out of the way, I just tap on the far-right edge of the screen, which hides it well enough.

I have few requirements for the second screen. All I really need is a browser, a text editor, and a terminal. LXDE already provides the text editor (Leafpad) and terminal (LXTerminal). I installed Chromium:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

You can install any software via the Terminal and apt-get. If you want a graphical package manager, you can install Synaptic:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

If you want a media player, I'd suggest VLC:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc

7. DONE! (almost)
    I've attached a screenshot of my finished setup. I was surprised, but performance with VNC is decent. It's certainly acceptable to me for basic web browsing and text editing and is much faster than any of the Android apps I tried (like Splashtop). However, it's not sufficient for video playback or really anything beyond static graphics and text.

The holy grail of this setup would be to display the GUI via FrameBuffer; no VLC client and no lag whatsoever. However, you need a custom kernel with VT/FB support to do that. I haven't found one stable enough to use yet, and I'm too scared to compile my own. I'll post another howto if I find a VT/FB kernel.

Hope this helps somebody!
    I've asked in a few places about whether it works with no response. Apparently nobody has tried... I'm not keen to root unnecessarily (promised my sysadmin) but it seems like such a good solution.

I tried changing ro.product. -name, -model and -device to match SM-N9005 Note 3 (Since my NP is P905). Only thing I got was SystemUI crash loop --> restore build.prop via ADB.

Didn't have time to try any other things yet.
    TeamViewer to your PC and QuickSupport to Android device can do the job
    well thank you so much for the tool it seems very useful, however it is not what i was looking for, you can refer to the video i posted for a clearer idea of what i require.

thank you so much and really appreciate the help.

So if you want your Note to be like "extra monitor" I can't tell you any apps. Apps I linked earlied was to get tablet screen shown on PC and that way you can use mouse & keyboard on your device. To do kinda this.