Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Chrome 35 ruins bookmark list

OP GldRush98

22nd May 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Taylorville, IL.
Thanks Meter: 269

2,168 posts
More
Ugh, this is truly awful. I'm sure it works for Phones, but it certainly doesn't work on tablets!

Chrome 34 - Big beautiful icons, 28 bookmarks with out scrolling:

Chrome 35 - Microscopic icons, 10 bookmarks with out scrolling:

Thank science for Titanium Backup, but seriously, what idiot developer thought this change was good?
22nd May 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,280

8,820 posts
The re-done stock browser in 4.4 is faster than Chrome and has neat bookmarking...

22nd May 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
4.4 is a non starter for me until the issues are resolved concerning Chromecast and lockscreen widgets.
22nd May 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #4  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,280

8,820 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98

4.4 is a non starter for me until the issues are resolved concerning Chromecast and lockscreen widgets.

You'll be on 4.3 for a long time. The Chromecast issue doesn't affect everyone equally and according to this post it's not even listed as an identified issue in Samsung's problem tracking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgambini

Reply from samsung customer service

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you are experiencing “com.android.systemui” error on the Galaxy Note 10.1 while using Chromecast to play music/ movies on TV.

I have checked the information in our database and see that, there are no reported cases with Samsung about the Chromecast issue. However, I will provide you troubleshooting steps, please perform them on the device and check if that resolves the issue.

Samsung dropped lock screen widgets starting with the Pro's. The SGS5 and Tab 4's don't have them either. So unless a dev figures out how to get them back for people that are rooted they're pretty much gone.

I tried a friends Chromecast (I don't use it) and I don't have the issue people are describing. While casting I can open the notification panel and change the volume. I upgraded vs. doing a full wipe and still have the lock screen widgets on 4.4. I lost Daynote which is supposed to be there and I'd rather have it than the widgets. I'm betting if I hard reset the lock screen widgets will go away and Daynote will come back. Maybe you'll get lucky and the widgets will remain after you upgrade.

22nd May 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
I expected to never receive a viable update when I bought it. Samsung is not known for their great product support. If there had been an updated Nexus 10 released, I wouldn't even be here, but Google left the 10 inchers out to dry it seems.

That being said, Chrome is now apparently abandoning tablet users as well. It feels like Google has given up on the tablet market altogether. Maybe that guy talking about looking to Windows for his next tablet has the right idea :-\
28th May 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 10

75 posts
Indeed my bookmark icons on my Note 10.1 and Note 3 look horrible. Really a bummer of astronomical proportions. On my Note 3 it already looks silly. and on my tablet it is like a go back 10 years in time.
28th May 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Taylorville, IL.

2,168 posts
More
Google's response is this is the new UI, get used to it.
Fantastic. Google continues to ignore tablets.

Here is Chrome 34 in case anyone wants to revert https://www.dropbox.com/s/eubrrska2y...c9b901c.apk.gz
Last edited by GldRush98; 28th May 2014 at 10:56 PM.
29th May 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #8  
Flag Ronneby
Thanks Meter: 535

2,602 posts
More
Google Chrome seems to need some help here as you all gang up on it..
I really like the new look and find it much more usefull, you have everything at hand just over the buttons and easy to scroll thru. Much easier and a better solution to handle the bookmarks I think.
29th May 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 10

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98

Google's response is this is the new UI, get used to it.
Fantastic. Google continues to ignore tablets.

Here is Chrome 34 in case anyone wants to revert https://www.dropbox.com/s/eubrrska2y...c9b901c.apk.gz

If that's Google's reponse they can have it. No Chrome for me anymore and removed it from my devices. I hope hundreds of million of us will do the same. That will change their mind. And like I said, it looks like if I go back in time for 10 years.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread