Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 40,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD Request] - AOSP Emoticons

Tip us?
 
discstu37
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 42
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default [MOD Request] - AOSP Emoticons

Has anyone created a MOD, or know of a way, to replace the Sense emoticons with what you see in Hangouts, or the AOSP emoticons? I know this seems really trivial but really bugs me.
 
polaric
Old
#2  
polaric's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 320
Join Date: Oct 2013

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by discstu37 View Post
Has anyone created a MOD, or know of a way, to replace the Sense emoticons with what you see in Hangouts, or the AOSP emoticons? I know this seems really trivial but really bugs me.
I'm just like you. Heres how you make it use the defaults.
You'll need to be able to write to /system, so use a custom rom or recovery.
Look in /system/fonts
You'll see android-emojii.ttf and android-emoti-htc.tff. The system is using the htc version. Simply swap the names so the regular one is named with the -htc and the one that was -htc is named regular, then reboot. Stock Emojiis.
Devices in use:
[Main Device] HTC One M8 (CM11)
[Dev Tablet] Nexus 10 (Personally built CM 11)
[Test Device] Nook Color (CM 10.2)

Want a fast easy Cyanogenmod Changelog app? Check out my CMLog app!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to polaric For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
discstu37
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 42
Join Date: Sep 2010
Perfect! Thanks so much. Working after a reboot. You saved (part of) my sanity!
The Following User Says Thank You to discstu37 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jknigga
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Dec 2010
Worked great! Thanks so much!
 
ludeboy
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 44
Posts: 184
Join Date: Mar 2007
Anyone know how to get the HTC ones over to AOSP? I tried copying the HTC file over and renaming but the emojis are in black and white.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
 
dunn816
Old
#6  
dunn816's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 99
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaric View Post
I'm just like you. Heres how you make it use the defaults.
You'll need to be able to write to /system, so use a custom rom or recovery.
Look in /system/fonts
You'll see android-emojii.ttf and android-emoti-htc.tff. The system is using the htc version. Simply swap the names so the regular one is named with the -htc and the one that was -htc is named regular, then reboot. Stock Emojiis.
"androidemoji-htc.ttf cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only"? Im rooted s-offed and everything

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunn816 View Post
"androidemoji-htc.ttf cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only"? Im rooted s-offed and everything
<<<<<DISREGARD>>> lol
 
polaric
Old
#7  
polaric's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 320
Join Date: Oct 2013

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunn816 View Post
"androidemoji-htc.ttf cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only"? Im rooted s-offed and everything
If your still running the stock rom the kernel has write protection. Use a custom ROM or recovery to do it.

Sent from my HTC One M8

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludeboy View Post
Anyone know how to get the HTC ones over to AOSP? I tried copying the HTC file over and renaming but the emojis are in black and white.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
If you want the HTC ones back, swap the filenames back again. All your doing is changing the font its using for emojiis.

Sent from my HTC One M8
Devices in use:
[Main Device] HTC One M8 (CM11)
[Dev Tablet] Nexus 10 (Personally built CM 11)
[Test Device] Nook Color (CM 10.2)

Want a fast easy Cyanogenmod Changelog app? Check out my CMLog app!
 
los1223
Old
#8  
los1223's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 208
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Awesome! I just got my m8 yesterday and have been customizing everything. This was a minor annoyance to me too. Glad to see a fix!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Navigate to Your Favorite Places with LocationDetector

If you’re enjoying an active way of life, you probablytravel a lot, go fishing, … more

LifeStats Automatic Journal Keeps Tabs of Your Day

Most of us live very active lives. This is after all why we’re fans of mobile … more

Android App Review: Hide Your Files with Androignito – XDA Developer TV

Stop right now, look at your phone, and see how many pictures, … more

BrightNotes Makes Cloud Notes Simple and Easy

There are literally thousands of note taking apps available on Android, with practically every … more