Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 53,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] rooting issue with 4.2.2 at&t s4

Tip us?

fredderf81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] rooting issue with 4.2.2 at&t s4

hi all, i'm sure someone will be able to quickly identify whats going on here but my wife's at&t s4 phone will not root. i have tried all the root methods listed in the android development forum and nothing works. its on MF3 with 4.2.2. i run the motochopper and it fails. i have run another one and i get the download screen with "cannot do normal boot" on top and i have to flash the 16gb pit file to get it to boot into the OS. root checker always said no root detected. am i doing something wrong? is the phone not rootable?? any light on this would be awesome.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3175
You can't use motochopper if you're on mf3. Google new root method mf3 xda

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

fredderf81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You can't use motochopper if you're on mf3. Google new root method mf3 xda

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
thanks for the info, i tried that and received several error messages "access denied" etc. when running the terminal commands.
i think i'm just going to drop at&t and run to tmobile and grab a phone without knox or something. no worries

pauljasem
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T S4 Rooting

Motochopper will indeed not work. I rooted my i337 on 4.2.2 using Saferoot a few months ago. It worked flawlessly. It's a similar method to Motochopper, but worked on my AT&T S4. It was once I updated to 4.3 that I ran into problems due to the locked bootloader; sucks. But try Saferoot. It should still work.