Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,393 Members 53,363 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Boot problem

Tip us?

reno218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Boot problem

I am trying to help my friend out with his kindle, for some reason this thing will only boot if its plugged into the outlet. When its unhooked it just boot loops, and when I try and connect it to the computer it boot loops. It's stock and at this point I am not sure what I can even do.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno218 View Post
I am trying to help my friend out with his kindle, for some reason this thing will only boot if its plugged into the outlet. When its unhooked it just boot loops, and when I try and connect it to the computer it boot loops. It's stock and at this point I am not sure what I can even do.
If it will boot up fully then tell me if you unplug it does it shut of instantly? I'm wondering if the battery is bad, if this is a kindle 7" hd 2012 model (has the front facing camera) then you can always root it and reboot into fastboot and attempt a restore via kindle fire first aid or system restore tool. The 2013 has a bit of a different utility for the procedure and could require a fastboot cable depending on the os version. You can also tell what year the kindle is by its os version, 7.x.x = 2012 and 11.x.x = 2013, 8.x.x= 8.9 2012 hd, etc.
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

reno218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
If it will boot up fully then tell me if you unplug it does it shut of instantly? I'm wondering if the battery is bad, if this is a kindle 7" hd 2012 model (has the front facing camera) then you can always root it and reboot into fastboot and attempt a restore via kindle fire first aid or system restore tool. The 2013 has a bit of a different utility for the procedure and could require a fastboot cable depending on the os version. You can also tell what year the kindle is by its os version, 7.x.x = 2012 and 11.x.x = 2013, 8.x.x= 8.9 2012 hd, etc.
Yeah as soon as I unplug it the thing shuts off, and it does say its charging.. and for version its the 7.4.8_user4849020 and he said its a couple years old, and it has the front facing cam

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Ok it sounds like something could be up with the battery, a wall charger has more output than a pc so a kindle can't run off the low power of the pc, I'm guessing bad battery, but that could be a problem to check it if it doesn't have root already because I think the sensors that you can query the battery from in a terminal require root. The kindle's internal battery is replaceable, not too difficult to replace, I believe you need a star head screw driver and it's glued but other than that it's pretty simple.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

reno218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Ok it sounds like something could be up with the battery, a wall charger has more output than a pc so a kindle can't run off the low power of the pc, I'm guessing bad battery, but that could be a problem to check it if it doesn't have root already because I think the sensors that you can query the battery from in a terminal require root. The kindle's internal battery is replaceable, not too difficult to replace, I believe you need a star head screw driver and it's glued but other than that it's pretty simple.

Why would the battery cause a boot loop though?

Ph0enix_216
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:

You need a small Phillips screwdriver and a Torx T5, to be exact. You have to slide one of the speaker wires out of the way to be able to access one of the screws as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, somewhere in the time vortex

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Fastcharge!
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix_216 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Why would the battery cause a boot loop though?
Well because the device is too low to stay on with a low power charger so the initial detection of power from plugging it in while off tells it to turn on but once it realizes how low the battery is it shuts off, then it repeats the process because it is plugged in still. Least that's my guess.

reno218
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well because the device is too low to stay on with a low power charger so the initial detection of power from plugging it in while off tells it to turn on but once it realizes how low the battery is it shuts off, then it repeats the process because it is plugged in still. Least that's my guess.

Okay I should have said that when it does power on it says the battery is on 55%

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 608

DONATE TO ME
Interesting... still think it's a battery issue. If its reporting the wrong value because the battery is worn it would make sense.

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 405

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Okay I should have said that when it does power on it says the battery is on 55%
Pull the battery and check the connector and see if it loose. I have seen just this situation after a tablet is dropped. It very well could be the actual battery too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254