App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Boot problem

29th May 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I am trying to help my friend out with his kindle, for some reason this thing will only boot if its plugged into the outlet. When its unhooked it just boot loops, and when I try and connect it to the computer it boot loops. It's stock and at this point I am not sure what I can even do.
29th May 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 608

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno218

I am trying to help my friend out with his kindle, for some reason this thing will only boot if its plugged into the outlet. When its unhooked it just boot loops, and when I try and connect it to the computer it boot loops. It's stock and at this point I am not sure what I can even do.

If it will boot up fully then tell me if you unplug it does it shut of instantly? I'm wondering if the battery is bad, if this is a kindle 7" hd 2012 model (has the front facing camera) then you can always root it and reboot into fastboot and attempt a restore via kindle fire first aid or system restore tool. The 2013 has a bit of a different utility for the procedure and could require a fastboot cable depending on the os version. You can also tell what year the kindle is by its os version, 7.x.x = 2012 and 11.x.x = 2013, 8.x.x= 8.9 2012 hd, etc.
29th May 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

If it will boot up fully then tell me if you unplug it does it shut of instantly? I'm wondering if the battery is bad, if this is a kindle 7" hd 2012 model (has the front facing camera) then you can always root it and reboot into fastboot and attempt a restore via kindle fire first aid or system restore tool. The 2013 has a bit of a different utility for the procedure and could require a fastboot cable depending on the os version. You can also tell what year the kindle is by its os version, 7.x.x = 2012 and 11.x.x = 2013, 8.x.x= 8.9 2012 hd, etc.

Yeah as soon as I unplug it the thing shuts off, and it does say its charging.. and for version its the 7.4.8_user4849020 and he said its a couple years old, and it has the front facing cam
29th May 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok it sounds like something could be up with the battery, a wall charger has more output than a pc so a kindle can't run off the low power of the pc, I'm guessing bad battery, but that could be a problem to check it if it doesn't have root already because I think the sensors that you can query the battery from in a terminal require root. The kindle's internal battery is replaceable, not too difficult to replace, I believe you need a star head screw driver and it's glued but other than that it's pretty simple.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
29th May 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:

Ok it sounds like something could be up with the battery, a wall charger has more output than a pc so a kindle can't run off the low power of the pc, I'm guessing bad battery, but that could be a problem to check it if it doesn't have root already because I think the sensors that you can query the battery from in a terminal require root. The kindle's internal battery is replaceable, not too difficult to replace, I believe you need a star head screw driver and it's glued but other than that it's pretty simple.

Why would the battery cause a boot loop though?
29th May 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #6  
Flag /system/xbin/su
Thanks Meter: 91

419 posts
More
Quote:

You need a small Phillips screwdriver and a Torx T5, to be exact. You have to slide one of the speaker wires out of the way to be able to access one of the screws as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, somewhere in the time vortex
The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix_216 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Why would the battery cause a boot loop though?

Well because the device is too low to stay on with a low power charger so the initial detection of power from plugging it in while off tells it to turn on but once it realizes how low the battery is it shuts off, then it repeats the process because it is plugged in still. Least that's my guess.

30th May 2014, 04:02 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:

Well because the device is too low to stay on with a low power charger so the initial detection of power from plugging it in while off tells it to turn on but once it realizes how low the battery is it shuts off, then it repeats the process because it is plugged in still. Least that's my guess.

Okay I should have said that when it does power on it says the battery is on 55%
30th May 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Interesting... still think it's a battery issue. If its reporting the wrong value because the battery is worn it would make sense.

30th May 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #10  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 405

1,702 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Okay I should have said that when it does power on it says the battery is on 55%

Pull the battery and check the connector and see if it loose. I have seen just this situation after a tablet is dropped. It very well could be the actual battery too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread