Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,540 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NFC and NFC Tags related queries

Tip us?

soumen.sam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Question NFC and NFC Tags related queries

Hi Guys,

I have few queries related to NFC and NFC Tags.
1# Iím using this Leather Flip cover for my Note 3

and can I use NFC tag with this cover on? As the backside leather and the phone holder plastic cover is thicker together so Iíve no idea if this work.

2# I have no idea about NFC tags, so a branded one (Samsung TecTile) is good or non branded low cost one? A low cost non branded one can harm the phone anyway? Or any performance issue? Or compatibility issue?

3# what is the difference between Samsung TecTile and TecTile2 I somewhere read Samsung TecTile doesnít work with newer phones like note 3, Iím not sure.

4# I heard NFC tag which has good data capacity is better for multitask etc but Iíve no idea which data capacity should considered as good. One Iíve seen very low cost and it says: ďEnough memory for general usage : 137 bytes + 7 bytes unique id numberĒ and compatible with all NFC phones.

5# Say if the NFC tags works with my leather cover and Iíve seen NFC tags works from few cm distance, not require a physical touch always. So in that case will it also work from a little distance with the cover on? The reason Iím asking like in car Iíve to turn on the Bluetooth all time, so I wanted to place it somewhere, if I seat in car the BT will be activated. I donít want to take the phone from my pocket and touch at the dash NFC tag.

Please advice. Thanks in advance!

SladeZero
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.sam View Post
Hi Guys,

I have few queries related to NFC and NFC Tags.
1# Iím using this Leather Flip cover for my Note 3

and can I use NFC tag with this cover on? As the backside leather and the phone holder plastic cover is thicker together so Iíve no idea if this work.

2# I have no idea about NFC tags, so a branded one (Samsung TecTile) is good or non branded low cost one? A low cost non branded one can harm the phone anyway? Or any performance issue? Or compatibility issue?

3# what is the difference between Samsung TecTile and TecTile2 I somewhere read Samsung TecTile doesnít work with newer phones like note 3, Iím not sure.

4# I heard NFC tag which has good data capacity is better for multitask etc but Iíve no idea which data capacity should considered as good. One Iíve seen very low cost and it says: ďEnough memory for general usage : 137 bytes + 7 bytes unique id numberĒ and compatible with all NFC phones.

5# Say if the NFC tags works with my leather cover and Iíve seen NFC tags works from few cm distance, not require a physical touch always. So in that case will it also work from a little distance with the cover on? The reason Iím asking like in car Iíve to turn on the Bluetooth all time, so I wanted to place it somewhere, if I seat in car the BT will be activated. I donít want to take the phone from my pocket and touch at the dash NFC tag.

Please advice. Thanks in advance!
I'll take a plug at this:
#1 - As long as you're 5mm or less away from the nfc to the tag. Have you tried any nfc scans or connections with other users? To tell you the truth, I have a Neo hybrid case and my cousin has a otter box defender. We use Sbeam/nfc transfers for movies and photos all the time. We should just use bluetooth but i can't be bothered with disconnecting my car/headset to transfer something on the go.

#2 - I dont think a non-branded one would cause harm to a phone. As far as I know nfc tags are nfc tags unless they are made by Sony... Sony S%^& don't work with anything but Sony. I have a bunch of Sony NFC tags I can't even re-program with my N3. I tried a third party program and still can't re-program them.

#3 - I don't know... size and frequency maybe.

#4 - General use is 1-4 commands. One that can hold more data can house web addresses, contact info, info, ads, etc.

#5 Your going to have to actually swipe it across the tag. NFC doesn't trigger at a large distance. NFC is a magnetic switch.
~I'm not a flash-a-holic... I will never admit it.~

My Phones:
~Samsung Note 3: Stock 4.4.2 Made it Ra1n!
~Sony Xperia TL: Orange Stock 4.0.4 (Resurrected from Hard Brick, inactive)
~Samsung Captivate: AOKP ICS Milestone (retired again, third time)
~LG Shine: ~in Heaven~

My Phones:
~Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7"): Stock 4.2.2 Rooted & Debloated
The Following User Says Thank You to SladeZero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

soumen.sam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SladeZero View Post
I'll take a plug at this:
#1 - As long as you're 5mm or less away from the nfc to the tag. Have you tried any nfc scans or connections with other users? To tell you the truth, I have a Neo hybrid case and my cousin has a otter box defender. We use Sbeam/nfc transfers for movies and photos all the time. We should just use bluetooth but i can't be bothered with disconnecting my car/headset to transfer something on the go.

#2 - I dont think a non-branded one would cause harm to a phone. As far as I know nfc tags are nfc tags unless they are made by Sony... Sony S%^& don't work with anything but Sony. I have a bunch of Sony NFC tags I can't even re-program with my N3. I tried a third party program and still can't re-program them.

#3 - I don't know... size and frequency maybe.

#4 - General use is 1-4 commands. One that can hold more data can house web addresses, contact info, info, ads, etc.

#5 Your going to have to actually swipe it across the tag. NFC doesn't trigger at a large distance. NFC is a magnetic switch.
Hi SladeZero,
Thanks for your feedback. These details are enough for me. No I havenít tried NFC yet, even with other phones. Something like never required, but I will try it soon.

3# I googled it and learn about different NFC and their compatibility. Samsung TecTile doesnít work anymore with latest phone and TechTile2 does.

4# the one I was talking about is NTAG203 which is universal these days and it has 144 bytes which is ok for usual tasks but not good for big storage like business card etc.

5# yea Iím thinking to put the tag in my car key, so whenever I drive I will just touch the key to my pocket, I donít want to take the phone out each time.