Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery drains without any normal or background activity

Tip us?

Pretorian187
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Battery drains without any normal or background activity

Hi

I searched the web and also on Xda but I could not find an answer to the problem I got. I want to know if anybody has the same problem as I have. Firstly I want to clarify that I am NOT talking about a normal battery drainage caused by background apps, foreground apps, enabled wifi, bluetooth, google background activities, synchronisation, facebook, google location settings, any antivirus app or something of that kind. There are plenty of threads about that and google search is full of this topic. I am talking about something else when it comes to sudden and quick battery drainage.

It already happened to me a couple of times when I use the built in projector of my phone (samsung galaxy beam). So I watch a movie on the projector and it takes let say.. around 30 percent of my battery life. After I turn the projector off, close all foreground and background activities I wait like a minute or 2 and the battery status drops from lets say 28 to 20. This is normal as the battery status somehow needs some time to get "updated". So after every single fore- and background activity is closed and I got 20% battery left I go to bed. Then in the morning I look at my phone and its dead meaning the battery dropped to 0 causing the phone to turn off. And thats not normal for me. (I do hear the sound of very low battery in the early morning meaning it doesnt turn off within 1 hour which would mean faulty battery) First I was thinking that this problem might be caused by previously overheating the battery but I checked the temperature and here all is fine. Also both batteries are not too old and still work normally (beside the described problem). I may add that using the projector itself is not an "extreme" usage of the battery. When I use the projector, play an HD android game connected to my ps3 controller ...that is a different story.

So my question is what could cause this rapid battery percentage drop even tho the phone has no activity at all and sleeps. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not tho..If I would not use the projector then I loose around 2-3 percent overnight, if I use it then I sometimes loose 20% without doing anything. And thats not normal. I understand that a lot of people dont have my phone, but I still would like to know if anybody had the same issue on his phone after "heavy" usage? Maybe android somehow thinks that there is still activity even tho there isnīt. Like a virtual activity making the battery think its in use and therefore draining it. Any thoughts on that?

Im running on 4.1.2 JB stock rooted

ThatGuyTav
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Which phone?

Pretorian187
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyTav View Post
Which phone?

I wrote that already in the post. Its the Samsung Galaxy Beam.

chkc.sonu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
ya, even my xperia m with JB 4.3 drains heavily.

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 804
This is a case where actual current measurements will narrow things down.
It could be that when you turn off the projector, there is still some hardware drain going on.
It could also be that the last "20%" of your battery is really only 1%.

For current measurement, see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2487055

madhur1209
Old
Thanks Meter 0
this can be due to some defect with ur battery or with the charger that you are using, you can rule this out may be by trying different charger and also changing the battery to rule out the battery defect. what @Renate NST say could also be the issue.

Pretorian187
Old
(Last edited by Pretorian187; 30th May 2014 at 02:14 PM.) Reason: forgot something
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Default Problem solved

Ok. Just a little heads up. I managed to solve the problem. Thanks for the replies. This is how I solved it:

1. I first ran this app ( Battery Life Repair) to check for any faults in the battery itself https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rydoctorrepair

2. Then I installed this app (BatteryCalibration): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erycalibration and followed the advise as written on the app (regarding full charge and discharge- I discharged it until the phone switched off). Find the XDA thread of this app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1024867

3. After I watched a movie on the phones projector I restarted the phone and it stopped from draining the battery until 0 and went back to a normal discharging state

So with a bit of heavier battery usage (watching a movie on the projector) the phone or battery somehow memorized this usage, and thought it has to continue in this state even after I ended the movie and turned the projector off. But the above 3 actions solved my problem. Its important to mention that you will still loose some battery life as you need to restart the phone. But this is obviously way better than having the battery run down to 0% for a virtual usage...

PS: If you still got problems with ur battery you might want to replace it or change your charger...

Tags
battery 0%, battery analysis, battery drain