Samsung Galaxy Gear with Tizen - All things Tizen here.

Search This thread

NakedFaerie

Mar 26, 2005
Gingerdude im the same. The GG1 with Android can do heaps nore than tizen so im not wanting to update either. But im guessing when Samsung release tizen for GG1 they will most likely remove Android apps and force people to update to tizen.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
Gingerdude im the same. The GG1 with Android can do heaps nore than tizen so im not wanting to update either. But im guessing when Samsung release tizen for GG1 they will most likely remove Android apps and force people to update to tizen.

From what I have read, the Tizen update can only be done with Kies or Odin. There won't be anything automatic about it, so it can't be forced on you.

NakedFaerie

Mar 26, 2005
I did a search and found out there is supposed to be more apps for Tizen than the GG so thats good to know.
As Samsung remove about 1 app a week from the GG Android store it'll probably be better to upgrade as most of the GG apps are faulty and not getting fixed.

Last edited:

radekklamzynski7

Feb 7, 2011
Lodz
Are you sure? How did you find out?

I was updating via Kies and at the outset is this information...

Przechwyt_eerrwqq.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: dabenaute

Armazia

Nov 23, 2008

Meh, thats samsungs information. Because you can't use kies to flash Android on it.. But I am curious if it changes the bootloader or whatsoever.. Cause I wanna test Tizen, but I am pretty sure that I will return to android, so I need confirmation if you really can't go back..

NakedFaerie

Mar 26, 2005

Is the Tizen formware region locked like the Galaxy phones?
I cant upgrade my S4 using an UK firmware as it bricks so I have to use the Australian firmware.
But the Gear could upgrade to any firmware without problems.

And should I remove all the Gear apps before upgrading as they wont with with Tizen?

D

Daster_x

Is the Tizen formware region locked like the Galaxy phones?
I cant upgrade my S4 using an UK firmware as it bricks so I have to use the Australian firmware.
But the Gear could upgrade to any firmware without problems.

And should I remove all the Gear apps before upgrading as they wont with with Tizen?

I just flashed the new FW on my Gear - after that the Gear Manager has updated the apps - and it started to work with more nice view (no issues so far)

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
I had a gear 2 neo and sold it for a gg1, nothing I saw on tizen is worth the risk of missing out on a possible android wear port. But if I can tizen then down grade then definitely want to give it another go.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

WarlockLord

Mar 22, 2006
Was just discussing this with someone else. Do the odin packages that include android have the bootloader file? 55 minutes left for me to download it, so I can't answer it myself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great-ish news! I was able to successfully revert back to the Android bootloader. However the system I installed doesn't seem to want to boot so I'm still working out the kinks. I think this means that we'll be able to get back to Android if we want to though!

I've gone ahead and uploaded LS02.pit (remove .txt) for anyone who wants to get in on the action. Just a reminder however that I'm in no way responsible for anything that you do to your device.
    i dont understand, why update to tizen, with null rom (fomey)...play Store 50000000 apps, with tizen? bah!

Simple. To many of us, doing full-size Android "stuff" on a 1.86" display and 800MHz SoC in an uncomfortable position doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially when you have a full-size device with a 1080P 5" display and quad/eight-core SoC nearby. I think some of what people have done is cool to look at and talk about but I personally have no interest in it and it's not what I bought a wearable for. To each their own.

14316294771_498abfedc1_n.jpg

14133099697_369e22a39e_n.jpg

14319649825_c79e361e70_n.jpg
    Well that sucks. It also confirms upgrading to Tizen is a one way option and you cant downgrade back to Android.
    Anyone want a Gear 1? I'm selling it now. I already have another Android Gear 1 lined up just need to sell this one first.

Looking at Samsung-updates this morning, Tizen has been rolled out to 72 markets (still not the U.S. but Canada's there). That's the fastest I've ever seen Samsung push an update. So effectively, as far as Samsung's concerned, the GG1 is now a Tizen device and all Android support will cease with CSR's telling customers with Android issues they need to "update to Tizen."

For people using the GG1 and other Samsung wearables "stock" this is great news as there's now an audience of 1M+ Tizen devices to write apps for. Since Tizen is open source and HTML5-based the learning curve is low for devs and I'm guessing quite a few will find taking on something new a challenge. What happens to development for current stuff on Android like null remains to be seen. Regardless, outside XDA, Android on Samsung's wearables is officially dead. At least until GalaxyWear (AKA: Android Wear) which Samsung just trademarked is launched.

Personally, I could care less about what OS my devices use. I just want them to do lots of "stuff" I find useful, practical, and cool. I'll go with whichever OS does that best. For the stock GG1 that's shaping up to be Tizen. So be it. ;)
    .wgt watchfaces

hey all

I converted 18 themes from wstheme to .wgt (got tired of waiting for Watchstyler and Multi-Watch to be approved by Samsung for Gear 1 on Tizen !)
    Go here for download and instryctions http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53210260&postcount=4774 enjoy
    That's a wrap, I'm back on Android now! Touch seems to be non-responsive but it is transmitting. I'm going to reboot and work out the details to make sure it works correctly before posting much else.

God I love this watch, the option between two OSs is kind of totally awesome!

--
    Galaxy Gear Revert Tizen to Android

WARNING: TOUCH DOES NOT CURRENTLY WORK, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THESE STEPS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

I've got to get going for the evening, if I get back earlier than later I'll play some more. Here's where I am at and the steps to get there from Tizen.
    Pre-req's:

1.) Boot into Download mode (hold power until reboot screen, mash power, press power once to get highlight download, hold power 3 seconds)
    2.) From ODIN 3.09 select LS02.pit as your pit file.
    3.) Install V700XXUAMII_OXAAMII as your AP (region up to you) (I tried going straight to NA6 but encountered firmware upgrade error message at boot)
    4.) Proceed with ODIN
    5.) Let the Gear finish booting up. Go back into Download mode.
    6.) Update to a more recent build (e.g. NA6), proceed.. let it boot.
    7.) You're now at the normal screen to pair! Joy! However touch doesn't seem to be working and I don't have time right now to dig into that.

Hope this helps someone!

--

From this junction you can revert back to Tizen as I've done so myself. Steps follow.

1.) Enter Download mode on Gear.
    2.) Using ODIN, choose the NE9 leak for AP.
    3.) Proceed.
    4.) Enjoy!