[Q] New Hotword Detection Invokes Location Services

OP WhatsT9

29th May 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag RVA
Thanks Meter: 11

32 posts
More
Using the 5/28 nightly (on Samsung GS2 i777), with Launcher3 and the new hotword detection enabled. The feature seems to work okay, but I've noticed that the location services indicator (the stylized push-pin) periodically flashes in the notification bar. Switching launchers or just disabling hotword detection prevents this, so it definitely seems related to the new feature. Is anybody else seeing this, and can anybody shed any light on what's going on here? Thanks.
30th May 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #2  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,466

13,347 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsT9

Using the 5/28 nightly (on Samsung GS2 i777), with Launcher3 and the new hotword detection enabled. The feature seems to work okay, but I've noticed that the location services indicator (the stylized push-pin) periodically flashes in the notification bar. Switching launchers or just disabling hotword detection prevents this, so it definitely seems related to the new feature. Is anybody else seeing this, and can anybody shed any light on what's going on here? Thanks.

Google Search is location-aware.
30th May 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag RVA
Thanks Meter: 11

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Google Search is location-aware.

Yes, but it seems something else is going on. I have no hotwords configured that invoke Google Search. Are you saying that the hotword detection feature is somehow leveraging Google search for command recognition? That seems a little overkill. Plus, even when I do invoke Google search, I don't get the flashing push-pin while it's waiting for my typing or talking (and, yes, when I start Google search, the flashing push-pin stops appearing until I exit Google search).

And the push-pin icon that I'm referring to apparently indicates that GPS is being used (as opposed to WiFi or network location based queries), because if I limit my location option to "Battery" or just turn it off, I don't get the icon anymore. I'm assuming that this means that the Google search application sometimes decides not to use precise location to facilitate queries. (I guess it doesn't need to know exactly where I am in order to "find pizza".)

I'm now on the 5/30 build for i777.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread