Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New Hotword Detection Invokes Location Services

Tip us?

WhatsT9
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] New Hotword Detection Invokes Location Services

Using the 5/28 nightly (on Samsung GS2 i777), with Launcher3 and the new hotword detection enabled. The feature seems to work okay, but I've noticed that the location services indicator (the stylized push-pin) periodically flashes in the notification bar. Switching launchers or just disabling hotword detection prevents this, so it definitely seems related to the new feature. Is anybody else seeing this, and can anybody shed any light on what's going on here? Thanks.
There's something satisfying about going into an app's settings.

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24115

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsT9 View Post
Using the 5/28 nightly (on Samsung GS2 i777), with Launcher3 and the new hotword detection enabled. The feature seems to work okay, but I've noticed that the location services indicator (the stylized push-pin) periodically flashes in the notification bar. Switching launchers or just disabling hotword detection prevents this, so it definitely seems related to the new feature. Is anybody else seeing this, and can anybody shed any light on what's going on here? Thanks.
Google Search is location-aware.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

WhatsT9
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Google Search is location-aware.
Yes, but it seems something else is going on. I have no hotwords configured that invoke Google Search. Are you saying that the hotword detection feature is somehow leveraging Google search for command recognition? That seems a little overkill. Plus, even when I do invoke Google search, I don't get the flashing push-pin while it's waiting for my typing or talking (and, yes, when I start Google search, the flashing push-pin stops appearing until I exit Google search).

And the push-pin icon that I'm referring to apparently indicates that GPS is being used (as opposed to WiFi or network location based queries), because if I limit my location option to "Battery" or just turn it off, I don't get the icon anymore. I'm assuming that this means that the Google search application sometimes decides not to use precise location to facilitate queries. (I guess it doesn't need to know exactly where I am in order to "find pizza".)

I'm now on the 5/30 build for i777.
There's something satisfying about going into an app's settings.