[Q] Snapdragon 8064 vs Amlogic S802 ?

17th April 2014, 01:43 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 9

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoDelic

I would pay 200 Euros without hesitation if a device featured these as fundamental:

• USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • enough space to fit a 2.5" SSD or mSata/mPCIe so we can get rid of slow EMMCs
  • 802.11 a/n/ac - b/g/n with at least 4 Antennas

well, if you are willing to make your own case, in return for having something that is completely unlocked

http://www.inforcecomputing.com/prod...o/ifc6410.html

(basically same chip as in firetv, but ddr3 vs lpddr2, plus sata and gigabit ethernet)

of course, you are then DIY on the software front.. shouldn't be much of a problem if you just wanted xbmc.
18th April 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #12  
Flag Prishtina
Thanks Meter: 60

226 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robclark

well, if you are willing to make your own case, in return for having something that is completely unlocked

http://www.inforcecomputing.com/prod...o/ifc6410.html

(basically same chip as in firetv, but ddr3 vs lpddr2, plus sata and gigabit ethernet)

of course, you are then DIY on the software front.. shouldn't be much of a problem if you just wanted xbmc.

Snapdragon 600, same chip as the one in Galaxy S4, that is powerful. Unfortunately anything that as to do with coding and electronics is above my scope of knowledge , it does look quite good this one. Above that, i dont use XBMC tbh and i use it as a Desktop Replacement Tool in combination with a LED TV and a Logitech k400 keyboard. Of course i dont do desktop-class processing, but it is enough for my needs to explore the internet, basically a basic computer .

ps, Fire TV has LPDDR2?
18th April 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 9

35 posts
Quote:

Snapdragon 600, same chip as the one in Galaxy S4, that is powerful. Unfortunately anything that as to do with coding and electronics is above my scope of knowledge , it does look quite good this one. Above that, i dont use XBMC tbh and i use it as a Desktop Replacement Tool in combination with a LED TV and a Logitech k400 keyboard. Of course i dont do desktop-class processing, but it is enough for my needs to explore the internet, basically a basic computer .

well, fedora runs quite nicely on it: https://github.com/freedreno/freedreno/wiki/Fedora

(as would, I imagine, ubuntu/debian/gentoo/etc..)

Quote:

ps, Fire TV has LPDDR2?

yeah, it has cell phone type low-power ddr stacked on top of the snapdragon 600, vs external DDR3 chips (which I assumed would be cheaper and sufficient since there isn't really a constraint on pcb size..)

but in the end, I guess the different memory won't make so much difference. The firetv does have larger emmc (iirc, ifc6410 was only 4G or 2G?), but that never bothered me as I just use a ssd harddrive anyways.
30th May 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 10

24 posts
Why FTV and Not a 802 device
I been using different boxes like the Matricon and RK3188 based ones. Rockchip suck at video but Amlogic excel at video playback. The problem is buggy firmware and that my friends is what makes or breaks a device. I was looking into an S802 but the only worthy one seems to be the upcoming Minix 8 with S802-H. One thing I like about the Roku and FTV is how well they behave and I don't miss the buggy Chinese devices' firmware.

I own a FTV (living room), a Roku and a Chromecast (bedroom, Roku for almost everything and the Chromecast to stream XBMC from android using Moliplayer and Y2Cast free app). Even though Roku have a dual core, it kicks any other box including the FTV at handling video and working with Plex. If there was XBMC for Roku I would considered it the perfect box.

The FTV handles video very well but the user interface is not as smooth as the Roku. Plex sucks on the FTV but XBMC works great (I'm on 13.1 RC-1). Instead of using Plex on FTV I now access my WD My Cloud storage using XBMC via SMB and it works like a charm.

So in short, I will keep my FTV as I'm very pleased with it specially because of XBMC, except if in the future there is an XBMC channel for Roku (doubt it) then I will trade my FTV for another Roku.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread