Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,344 Members 54,043 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downloading Large Google Maps Areas on Android

Tip us?

blueandwhiteg3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Downloading Large Google Maps Areas on Android

Google Maps will not allow me to download a large enough area to be useful. It's something like 10 miles across. In places like southern Oregon, your nearest neighbor may be more than 10 miles away, and cell towers are often nonexistent.

How can I download a larger map area under Android?

I'm currently frustrated because under iOS, xGPS allowed me to easily download any size area I wanted from Google Maps. I could even use my desktop to download and transfer the map to my phone via WiFi.

Is there any option to do this under Android? What about another mapping platform?

Note, I don't need offline routing or anything. Just a clear, high resolution map, preferably with terrain features, and a GPS dot for where I am.

greek_assassin
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandwhiteg3 View Post
Google Maps will not allow me to download a large enough area to be useful. It's something like 10 miles across. In places like southern Oregon, your nearest neighbor may be more than 10 miles away, and cell towers are often nonexistent.

How can I download a larger map area under Android?

I'm currently frustrated because under iOS, xGPS allowed me to easily download any size area I wanted from Google Maps. I could even use my desktop to download and transfer the map to my phone via WiFi.

Is there any option to do this under Android? What about another mapping platform?

Note, I don't need offline routing or anything. Just a clear, high resolution map, preferably with terrain features, and a GPS dot for where I am.
Check Maps With Me app

IF I HELPED YOU PRESS THE THANKS BYTTON
IF I HELPED PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON
The Following User Says Thank You to greek_assassin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blueandwhiteg3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've downloaded maps with me. It looks good for some things. Will be testing it out more on my weekend trip through southern Oregon.

Any thoughts on topo maps to go? That was another feature I really liked about xGPS but can't seem to replicate.

Tangodown78
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Google maps is pretty useless except for getting the most direct route

I Personaly Like Waze Social GPS Maps & Traffic or Scout GPS Navigation & Traffic