Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Advice on how to Proceed with my AT&T S5

OP FrozenClear

29th May 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi Everyone!

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5 (4.4.2) this weekend and was excited to start using it. I was disappointed with all the "bloatware" that AT&T decided to load onto the phone. I decided to root it and get rid of what I wanted, however I was disappointed to learn that there was no file available for my version of the S5 for CF-Auto-Root. So I would like some advice on how to proceed!

1) What options are available to me for in terms of gaining additional access (i.e. rooting / jailbreaking)

2) My work email requires encryption on the device. I was unable to root my old phone (S3) because the encryption interfered with the process and actually there was really no way to reverse the encryption! I can't delay accessing my work email indefinitely, how long before a root option become available? Should I wait?

3) ATT put something called "My Magazine" where the google now pane should be (left of the home screen). Will rooting the device allow me to put google now there instead of leaving it blank by disabling "My Magazine"

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be appreciated!

-Frozen
29th May 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 151

859 posts
More
For some reason AT&T has no development threads. I'm curious as to know why.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
30th May 2014, 12:57 AM   |  #3  
Flag Montana
Thanks Meter: 14

38 posts
More
Att and Verizon don't have root yet. It's a waiting game for it with no eta. There is a direct forum here, it's at&t Samsung galaxy s5.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5.
30th May 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 151

859 posts
More
Haha that sucks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
30th May 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 34

103 posts
More
AT&T and Verizon have a locked bootloader, so it's going to be a long time before root. There is like a $17,000+ bounty for the first developer to achieve it for the S5.

My honest opinion, get rid of AT&T if you are serious about development, or you can get some unlocked phones that work on AT&Ts network.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
31st May 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luriert

AT&T and Verizon have a locked bootloader, so it's going to be a long time before root. There is like a $17,000+ bounty for the first developer to achieve it for the S5.

My honest opinion, get rid of AT&T if you are serious about development, or you can get some unlocked phones that work on AT&Ts network.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Thank you for the informative reply! That clears up point #1 for me.

Do you (or anyone) have any advice about my encryption question (point #2)?

If its a long wait and I decide to use the encryption to check my work email. Will it be able to be reversed later?

Thanks,
Frozen
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread