[Q] S5 Bundled Charger

OP jopat

25th May 2014, 08:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

107 posts
Hi. I'm new here but not new with Android and S5.

I am wondering if anyone else tried to measure the Bundled S5 charger performance. Anyone?

I got my S5 on the first day it was available locally. Then I tried to measure its charging and was surprised to see that the voltage was much higher than usb specs. I am wondering if it is still safe to use 5.6-5.7V charging mobile phones. I think 5.3v is still on the safe side, but I think 5.6v is stretching too much. I'm guessing Samsung used 5.3v to hasten charging a little bit (A x V = W), but was also surprised that S5 saps only 1.75A even though the bundled charger is rated as 2A @ 5.3v.

I know that the charger should output less than 5.3v when a device is attached because of the power load. But it seems that is not the case.

I haven't used my S5 charger frequently, I still often use my S3 charger and my powerbank which are only giving out 5v.

I am asking here first before I go to Samsung Store and try to have it replaced. I don't want to waste effort going there if all S5 chargers are the same anyway.

I am unable to directly post links, so please see the attached image and the youtube video with the video ID.

Youtube video ID - ULXtIN6TcsE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5_charging.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2761924  
Last edited by jopat; 25th May 2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
26th May 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

107 posts