Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 53,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

touch screen problems?

Tip us?

mikeinaus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default touch screen problems?

I have a small line on my screen that is unresponsive. It goes straight across the top of the screen exactly where the install button is in the play store (about 1" from top of screen at roughly 1/4" thick). Its in a pretty awkward spot and causes a lot of problems. For some reason it has also disabled the tap to wake feature of my phone.

I installed the "Touch Test" app which shows that my entire touch screen is working. However it shows the phone recognizing 2 pointers (touches) being active whenever I touch that area of my screen. I've been having this problem for 2 or 3 months now and all of a sudden today on my lunch break it went away. I was able to tap to wake the screen (worked perfectly the 20 or so times I attempted it), I was also able to hit the install button in the play store and life was great... Or so I thought. A few hours later on my next break my phone went back to annoying piece of junk that I completely dislike using.

Now I dont know exactly when this started happening. I did notice it sometime soon after the 4.4 update, and flashing a custom rom/kernel has made no improvement. Anyone got any ideas? I loved this phone before this started, and my phone is so frustrating now that I completely disrespect the thing and have scratched the crap out of the screen. I'm really hoping this can be fixed so I can go on with enjoying whatever life I have left with the g2, if not I'll probably just abuse it until it breaks then switch over to a water proof z2 or something along those lines... Phone was very well taken care of before the problem started, wasnt dropped or exposed to water (other then using outside in the rain for a few min at a time)
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinaus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

onionz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaus View Post
I have a small line on my screen that is unresponsive. It goes straight across the top of the screen exactly where the install button is in the play store (about 1" from top of screen at roughly 1/4" thick). Its in a pretty awkward spot and causes a lot of problems. For some reason it has also disabled the tap to wake feature of my phone.

I installed the "Touch Test" app which shows that my entire touch screen is working. However it shows the phone recognizing 2 pointers (touches) being active whenever I touch that area of my screen. I've been having this problem for 2 or 3 months now and all of a sudden today on my lunch break it went away. I was able to tap to wake the screen (worked perfectly the 20 or so times I attempted it), I was also able to hit the install button in the play store and life was great... Or so I thought. A few hours later on my next break my phone went back to annoying piece of junk that I completely dislike using.

Now I dont know exactly when this started happening. I did notice it sometime soon after the 4.4 update, and flashing a custom rom/kernel has made no improvement. Anyone got any ideas? I loved this phone before this started, and my phone is so frustrating now that I completely disrespect the thing and have scratched the crap out of the screen. I'm really hoping this can be fixed so I can go on with enjoying whatever life I have left with the g2, if not I'll probably just abuse it until it breaks then switch over to a water proof z2 or something along those lines... Phone was very well taken care of before the problem started, wasnt dropped or exposed to water (other then using outside in the rain for a few min at a time)
I have this problem too, any fixes?

SkippyDogg
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Well I am in shock as to how we all have the same exact problem.

I first thought it was hardware failure on the screen itself and was pretty bummed. But now I see people have the exact same unresponsive touch screen in the exact same spot as mine? What ROM/Kernel are are you guys running? I am running what is in my sig and had not noticed it before until a couple of days ago. Coupled with the unresponsiveness, my Knock on does not work and the phone becomes mildly warm faster than usual. I think it might be a kernel software issue.

DeV4473
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ugh... I was hoping this wouldn't turn in to this big of a problem. I've got the same thing here, VS980 after flashing a Cloudy ROM.

I took over a thread here recently http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52858791 , but I'll post here again anyways. I wonder if it's the same spot with you guys too. It's right where the install button is on the Play Store, right? For a few hours after it started it went back to normal, then messed up again permanently.

TOT'ing back to 12B didn't help, so I got a replacement device from Verizon. I've yet to send back my old one because I'm worried about the unrooted flag in the bootloader and settings.

I don't have enough posts yet to be able to do this, but can someone alert a dev about this? Particularly in the thread of whatever ROM it was that you last used? A lot of people in the last thread said it came from Cloudy, and I figured it might make sense as Knock Code was supposed to be a feature on there even though the VS980 source wasn't out. Then again I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'd love to hear from someone who does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-22[1].png
Views:	28
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2771554  

mikeinaus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I dont think my blacked out area is quite as thick as yours but yes its in the exact same place. To confuse things even more my phone just started working properly again (for how long is another story). Its very odd that It hasnt worked once in 2 months or so and now twice in 2 days its started working.

As a side note I'm pretty sure I started having this problem immediately or very shortly after the OTA kitkat update. I'm now running cloudypro II 2.0 with 3.4.0 kernel, which as i said before didnt fix the problem in the 1 month ive been using this rom.

I originally thought it may have been a software issue, but for it to randomly start/stop working all of a sudden after so long of no function (with no software being added or changed) I'm thinking its more likely a hardware problem? When I fly home on Monday I'm going to try opening up the phone and cleaning the contacts to the from the touchscreen to the mainboard.

If it is software related it may have something to do with air plane mode. I get almost no signal where I'm working at the moment and the constant searching for signal kills my battery pretty fast so I've started using air plane mode the past few days. Thats the only thing out of the ordinary that i've done software wise.