Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 43,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Speaker Volume Boost for KitKat 4.4.2

Tip us?

theresin
Old
(Last edited by theresin; 31st May 2014 at 05:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Default Speaker Volume Boost for KitKat 4.4.2

So one of the biggest disappointments I've had with just about all my Samsung Galaxy devices has been the volume output from the external speaker - especially when watching movies.

So, as someone else asked about this in one of the ROM forums, I thought I would share my little tweak with the rest of you, and show how to do it yourself so you can play around with all sorts of volume tweaks.

As is the case with most things, be careful making changes to system files - I am not responsible if somehow you change a setting that results in the annihilation of the entire human race! (but really ... the worst that'll happen is it won't change anything, or you'll crash on boot ... so back everything up, and nandroid)

Process:

1) Download and extract either the moderate, or extreme file uploaded to this post.

2) Using your file explorer of choice, navigate to system/etc/snd_soc_msm

3) Back up the file titled snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm (i just add a .bak to the end of it, but moving it to another location works too)

4) Copy/move the downloaded snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file into the system/etc/snd_soc_msm directory.

5) Set the permissions to rw-r-r (errors and crashes if you don't)

5) Hot-boot or re-boot your phone, and boom ... the speaker is quite a bit louder.

This only "boosts" the external speaker, not the headset speaker, or bluetooth, or the headphone lineout.

Alternatively, if you'd like to know how to do this for future reference, I'll teach you! (because tinkering around is how we all learn in the first place, right?)

1) Open the snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file in Notepad++ and search for "speaker" ... you're looking for the line that says "Comment "Speaker Rx device" "

2) Below that you'll see several values under "EnableSequence" ... you want to edit the "RX5 Digital Volume"

3) Change the default value from 66.9% to something like 75% (I used 72.9 for the moderate and 77.9 for the extreme)

Save the file, copy it over, and there you go.

I would caution against going much higher than 77.9% ... you could do some serious damage to the speaker if you go too high...you've been warned!

You can also play around with some of the other "digital volume" values under the other headers .. such as "headset device", etc.

Good luck folks - enjoy turning your amps up to 11!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to theresin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ejohn3288
Old
(Last edited by ejohn3288; 3rd June 2014 at 06:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
This worked great! Thank you so much! Extreme distorts it a bit if put all the way up. I know this was bound to happen when tweaking the volume. so im about to try moderate also. But it definitely works.

Edit: Moderate is just right. Noticeably louder! But not that extreme for distortion to be caused. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
Nexus S 4G, Burnsra CM10 ROM, Thalamus Kernel, Latest Nova Launcher,
The Following User Says Thank You to ejohn3288 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eklipz3
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohn3288 View Post
This worked great! Thank you so much! Extreme distorts it a bit if put all the way up. I know this was bound to happen when tweaking the volume. so im about to try moderate also. But it definitely works.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
+1 on this working everytime i update my rom this is one of the first things i do and it works very well.
[Device:] Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
[Rom:] HyperDrive RLS16.1
I545VRUFNC5
[Kernel:] 3.4.0-1151670
se.infra@S0210-13#1
The Following User Says Thank You to eklipz3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theresin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Glad it's working. I definitely hear you (pun intended?) about the distortion thing, but that's unavoidable. I personally only use the "moderate" boost - I'm not that deaf..yet.

You can definitely mess around and increase the volume of the line-out (headphones), and the call speaker .. if anyone wants those, let me know and i'll upload them.

Jaimesco12
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresin View Post
Glad it's working. I definitely hear you (pun intended?) about the distortion thing, but that's unavoidable. I personally only use the "moderate" boost - I'm not that deaf..yet.

You can definitely mess around and increase the volume of the line-out (headphones), and the call speaker .. if anyone wants those, let me know and i'll upload them.
I would like those can you upload them please ? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

theresin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimesco12 View Post
I would like those can you upload them please ? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'll get those out sometime tonight.

Cowbell_Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks so much for your hard work, great post will try tonight. Would also be interested in increasing the volume of the call speakers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ruffryder91290
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks I've been looking for this for a while moderade is perfect.

Cowbell_Guy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Any chance we can get the call speaker mod?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ichnach
Old
Thanks Meter 3
thanks, now my wife can't complain she "didn't hear it ring" anymore

The Following User Says Thank You to ichnach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]