Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,403 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

If I can bypass my mobile ISP, can I tunnel elsewhere for data?

Tip us?

Hammerdroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default If I can bypass my mobile ISP, can I tunnel elsewhere for data?

My phones finds be cut off for a while. I have root. Can I tunnel to a proxy and gain data that way?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

razor411
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Do you mean a proxy, installed in your local network? If so yes, if not the proxy is also located in the internet somewhere and you need data to get there.

Sent from my RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app

Hammerdroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
That's what I'm trying to establish, is data by going around the provider... Cuz you know they maintain a data connection to the phone but it's just for their purposes, so I'm thinking there's gotta be a way to slip around them using 'bypass ISP' command from the crossbreeder mod, then a tunnel VPN to a proxy I have setup on another network... It seems to me that it should be doable... It's the 'how' that's got me tripping up.

edwardbeer
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdroid View Post
That's what I'm trying to establish, is data by going around the provider... Cuz you know they maintain a data connection to the phone but it's just for their purposes, so I'm thinking there's gotta be a way to slip around them using 'bypass ISP' command from the crossbreeder mod, then a tunnel VPN to a proxy I have setup on another network... It seems to me that it should be doable... It's the 'how' that's got me tripping up.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I think you use that :

"CrossBreeder now includes the bypass censor functionality. This allows you to circumvent DNS based censors as used by most authoritarian countries. This basically works by bypassing your ISP's DNS servers and querying the 2 Google DNS servers and 2 L3 DNS servers only. These are usually faster anyway, more so due to the caching and parallelizing nature of the query. Thus if your ISP is blocking websites without telling you, you have a way out if this. You can enable it using the following command:

su -c "/system/etc/CrossBreeder/ENABLE_BYPASS_ISP""

So you bypass your ISP's DNS, and you want bypass all DATA from your ISP...if I understand... A simple way would be a VPN based on openVPN...but you don't need proxy, the data in the VPN will not be readable for the ISP... Another is to use just...a HTTPS-Proxy, or SOCKS (for android, I launch shadowsocks on my server).

Hope that can help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to edwardbeer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razor411
Old
Thanks Meter 3
But even if you use a VPN or anything similar, you still need access to the ISPs network. And if the access is blocked completely you also cant connect to the vpn.

Sent from my RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to razor411 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]