[GUIDE] Lenovo S820 Viberom v1(1401) (CN/EN languagonly) 4.2.2 + Root + GAPPS workin

Search This thread

nickpass

Mar 11, 2014
Thank you for this great guide!

I tried it with the 1409 Vibe Rom and it worked just fine.

I only have one question. There is a system application called SECUREit, preinstalled, which I uninstalled using SD Maid and root permisions. After reboot though it appeared again like nothing was changed. Does someone have a solution for this?

Thank you.

danielwright

Thank you for this great guide!

I tried it with the 1409 Vibe Rom and it worked just fine.

I only have one question. There is a system application called SECUREit, preinstalled, which I uninstalled using SD Maid and root permisions. After reboot though it appeared again like nothing was changed. Does someone have a solution for this?

Thank you.

Glad it helped.

I deleted most bloatware with SDMaid, but froze SECUREit, and seems to work ok. It doesn't run now at least.

raven6681

Dec 11, 2013
Athens
root and gapps working on latest 1413_dev rom from needrom.com

edit: sorry, root worked, but phone was unrooted when I rebooted phone...

Last edited:

M3n0

Feb 3, 2012
bloatware list?

I might be a little off-topic and forgive me for that, but can anyone confirm the full list of bloatware on the ROW versions? I'd try vibe but got myself a ROW 4G version the other day. This phone is awesome.

n.dimov

Mar 11, 2014
Hi, I have an issue at step 2, just after "Now connect phone to USB with battery/sim cards still out." I get this message (see atached file) and I do not get a success message. What should I do?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Lileshwor

Oct 11, 2014
Imphal
Hell Yeah !!

Guide to flash and root latest official Lenovo VIBEROM 1.0 r1401 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2) (CN/EN langauge only), with gapps+google play.

Note: This guide is for Chinese S820. Not tested on ROW 4GB/8GB version. All flash/modding voids warranty and is at your own risk.

1) Download Viberom v1 1401, cwm root zip including superuser, gapps, copy all to phone

(edit working with latest DEV version Viberom v1409)

Viberom v1 1401 (root and google play only works with latest 1401)
pub.ota.lenovomm.com/VIBEROM/DEV/DEV1401_2/VIBEROM_V1.0_1401_2_DEV_S820_NK.zip

superuser.zip attached on this post

GAPPS Google services and play for Jelly Bean 4.2.2 download from
goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip

2) Install CWM for s820 CN using SP flash tools

Check MT65xx preloader driver is installed. This device only appears for 2 seconds and disappears, when USB is plugged in when phone is off and battery/sim cards are out.
Open control panel,device manager, remove battery/sim cards, connect phone to usb, look for MT65xx preloader, if it appears in "other devices" quickly right click on it, and update driver. If you miss it, disconnect and reconnect USB. Find the appropriate driver for your OS in MT65xx preloader USB drivers.rar attached on this post. (Windows 7 driver works in Windows 8 as well)

If it appears in ports, driver is installed ok.

Disconnect phone from USB. Do not replace battery/sim cards.

Download and extract on your computer CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_CN.7z - attached on this post

Download and extract SP Flash Tools - attached on this post

Run Flash_tool.exe with phone disconnected from USB.

Check "DA DL All With Check Sum" is ticked.

Press Scatter-loading, open "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" from CWM archive. This will open recovery image in SP flash tools.

Press download button. Phone should still NOT be connected. You'll get a warning, Click Yes to still download anyway.

Now connect phone to USB with battery/sim cards still out.

Wait for success message. Disconnect phone. Insert sim cards/battery, replace back cover.

3) When phone is powered off, boot into CWM by holding down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. When Lenovo logo appears, release power button but continue to hold down volume buttons. Release volume buttons when you get recovery menu. Should be headed "CWM-based Recovery v6......." if flash in step 2 was successful. If you get "Android system recovery", CWM flash was not successful. Go back.

Navigate up/down in menu using Vol up/down, and power button to select.

Select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm.

Then "Install zip", then "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending where you saved the VIBEROM/superuser/gapps zip files.

Find VIBEROM zip, and confirm flash.

From main manu select install zip, select superuser.zip and confirm to flash.

Select Go Back to get back to main menu. Select reboot system now. You'll get a warning that recovery has been disabled, select YES to restore your recovery and the phone will reboot.

When phone has started up, you'll get a few superuser requests and notifications in chinese, just hit left button for each of them. You also get a request to switch language to English. Switch to English and connect to your wifi or cellular data as normal.

4) Now you can install GAPPS.

Power off phone, boot into CWM. Install Gapps zip. Reboot.

Might get a force close or two as google services updates, but everything will be ok after it updates itself.

You should now have rooted Viberom jelly bean 4.2.2 in English, with google services/google play. You can now freeze chinese apps or other unwanted bloatware using titanium pro or SD Maid, etc.

I've been worrying since a couple of months on how to fix my boot looped phone. With my several trial from different guide I bricked my phone. May be I was totally new to this & I might have skipped some steps or followed those steps wrongly. But this puts soul to my phone. Thousands of thank you to you. Whoever or whatever you are Hats off to you & I salute you. But one last thing I lost my IMEI. Probably because I formatted my device from SP tool. Now I'm looking on how to put IMEI to my handset.

sushantadev

Feb 4, 2015
lenovo s820

Guide to flash and root latest official Lenovo VIBEROM 1.0 r1401 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2) (CN/EN langauge only), with gapps+google play.

Note: This guide is for Chinese S820. Not tested on ROW 4GB/8GB version. All flash/modding voids warranty and is at your own risk.

1) Download Viberom v1 1401, cwm root zip including superuser, gapps, copy all to phone

Check MT65xx preloader driver is installed. This device only appears for 2 seconds and disappears, when USB is plugged in when phone is off and battery/sim cards are out.
Open control panel,device manager, remove battery/sim cards, connect phone to usb, look for MT65xx preloader, if it appears in "other devices" quickly right click on it, and update driver. If you miss it, disconnect and reconnect USB. Find the appropriate driver for your OS in MT65xx preloader USB drivers.rar attached on this post. (Windows 7 driver works in Windows 8 as well)

Download and extract on your computer CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_CN.7z - attached on this post

Press Scatter-loading, open "MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt" from CWM archive. This will open recovery image in SP flash tools.

Press download button. Phone should still NOT be connected. You'll get a warning, Click Yes to still download anyway.

Wait for success message. Disconnect phone. Insert sim cards/battery, replace back cover.

3) When phone is powered off, boot into CWM by holding down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. When Lenovo logo appears, release power button but continue to hold down volume buttons. Release volume buttons when you get recovery menu. Should be headed "CWM-based Recovery v6......." if flash in step 2 was successful. If you get "Android system recovery", CWM flash was not successful. Go back.

Then "Install zip", then "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending where you saved the VIBEROM/superuser/gapps zip files.

Select Go Back to get back to main menu. Select reboot system now. You'll get a warning that recovery has been disabled, select YES to restore your recovery and the phone will reboot.

When phone has started up, you'll get a few superuser requests and notifications in chinese, just hit left button for each of them. You also get a request to switch language to English. Switch to English and connect to your wifi or cellular data as normal.

Might get a force close or two as google services updates, but everything will be ok after it updates itself.

You should now have rooted Viberom jelly bean 4.2.2 in English, with google services/google play. You can now freeze chinese apps or other unwanted bloatware using titanium pro or SD Maid, etc.

my phone lenovo s820 stuck on logo (lenovo), i have done hard reset but same problem.
i cant understand the above process, so plz how to flash this phone with easy way.
thankz

mj31382

Nov 19, 2015
Hi, I followed the instruction. MT65xx preloader is working fine and the phone is detected.

Then when I try to use SP Flash tool to download CWM, this error pop-up (SP FLASH TOOL ERROR (8038)). A brief googling directs me to reformat(no format bootloader). Then I proceed to re-download the CWM. Download is successful.

However, when I try to reboot the phone (power button+up,down volume button pressed), there is no response from the phone.

Do you know how to continue from here at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everyone!

Glad to find a thread related to my Lenovo S820 :) Could anyone please confirm if recovery menu after flashing CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_CN.7z will be in Chinese or in English? Becasue the last time I tried the menu was in Chinese and couldn't understand nothing :confused:

Cheers,

Hi Lessismore8848,

CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_CN.7z menus are in English