Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,598 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help with cwm recovery

Tip us?

Hetfield88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need help with cwm recovery

Hey guys, i'm kinda new to rooting(had iphone previously) and i'm having some trouble. The phone is rooted already(4.4.2), i installed ROM manager and now i dont know how to boot it to cwm recovery, every tutorial i follow it goes to stock recovery. I tried installing cwm with odin but it doesn't get through setup connection, or it does but it fails. I wanted to get the google edition ROM. Thanks in advance

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield88 View Post
Hey guys, i'm kinda new to rooting(had iphone previously) and i'm having some trouble. The phone is rooted already(4.4.2), i installed ROM manager and now i dont know how to boot it to cwm recovery, every tutorial i follow it goes to stock recovery. I tried installing cwm with odin but it doesn't get through setup connection, or it does but it fails. I wanted to get the google edition ROM. Thanks in advance
Have you tried the below app? Supposed to be good for flashing things.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kernel.flasher

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 - GoldenEye
Nexus 7 32GB WiFi 2012 - Liquid Smooth 4.4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hetfield88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
what is exactly flashing kernel? is it the same as flashing cwm recovery? so confused atm

Joku1981
Old
(Last edited by Joku1981; 30th May 2014 at 11:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 547

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
what is exactly flashing kernel? is it the same as flashing cwm recovery? so confused atm
You don't need flash any kernel for have a custom recovery. Take a look:

~ For i9500: HERE
~ For i9505: HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK "THANKS" BUTTON IF I HELPED YA
The Following User Says Thank You to Joku1981 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hetfield88
Old
(Last edited by Hetfield88; 31st May 2014 at 01:46 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981 View Post
You don't need flash any kernel for have a custom recovery. Take a look:
Thanks a lot man!

Edit:ahem i think i messed up, i got the custom recovery to work, then i did a wipe to install the google rom, but it failed for some reason, what do i do now?

Obagleyfreer
Old
Thanks Meter 777
You sound like you really don't know what you're mate.
I think the best advice anyone can give you is to put your phone down and read some more.

If you have successfully flashed CWM then all you need to do is flash a ROM of your choice then wipe data / factory reset.

Also before you even think about flashing anything to your phone you NEED to back up your EFS partition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app
GT-I9505

Hetfield88
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer View Post
You sound like you really don't know what you're mate.
I think the best advice anyone can give you is to put your phone down and read some more.

If you have successfully flashed CWM then all you need to do is flash a ROM of your choice then wipe data / factory reset.

Also before you even think about flashing anything to your phone you NEED to back up your EFS partition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app
you're right but now, since it's in recovery mode i have to fix this asap. i entered the recovery and did wipe data/factory reset like the tutorial said, then proceeded to install zip(the ROM) but it fails E/... status 7 installation aborted.

and i did backup data and sd card but the backups are in my pc and i cant get to them in recovery mode :/

11calcal
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
you're right but now, since it's in recovery mode i have to fix this asap. i entered the recovery and did wipe data/factory reset like the tutorial said, then proceeded to install zip(the ROM) but it fails E/... status 7 installation aborted.

and i did backup data and sd card but the backups are in my pc and i cant get to them in recovery mode :/
Don't panic bad it's just down to the version of recovery ?
Just go back into recovery & try flashing again once you get status 7 go back & second line from bottom where you chose zip you will see "allow update old binary" tick the box if not ticked or until if it's selected then select zip to flash & it'll go straight through
A thank you takes nothing at all yet can mean so much