TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more
Post Reply

Best Battery for S5

OP JoeeeWhite

28th May 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Hello Guys,

I would like to make a test comparison of all batteries available for S5 to see which one is the best.

The way i want to do it is following:

- charge each battery to 100%.
- make a HD video run endlessly till S5 turns off.
- repeat for 10-20 times on each battery to see how it degrades after charges.

I am looking for app recommendations to do it and also for battery suggestions for the test.

Please submit your ideas and thoughts.
28th May 2014, 12:16 PM   |  #2  
Christopher3712's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Colony, TX
Thanks Meter: 146
 
911 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeeWhite

Hello Guys,

I would like to make a test comparison of all batteries available for S5 to see which one is the best.

The way i want to do it is following:

- charge each battery to 100%.
- make a HD video run endlessly till S5 turns off.
- repeat for 10-20 times on each battery to see how it degrades after charges.

I am looking for app recommendations to do it and also for battery suggestions for the test.

Please submit your ideas and thoughts.

I wasn't aware that you'd need to record HD Video to run it down. You can, however, find extended play videos on youtube. For the sake of eliminating variables, I'd choose the same video at all times, run the tests in the same location (preferably at the same time of day), and turn on all services (NFC, GPS, bluetooth, gestures, etc) except wifi. Wi-fi would give you too steady of a signal and the battery is generally more stressed when running on cellular. That being said, that much cellular data being streamed over the course of days may use up a lot of data. If you decide to run these tests on wifi, the time of day you run them becomes irrelevant - you can run them at will. If you plan on running the tests that many times, this project should take you months. I would think 3 times would be adequate enough to determine an average life-cycle. Popular batteries out there are listed in the accessories thread. They shouldn't be hard to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher3712 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 01:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712

I wasn't aware that you'd need to record HD Video to run it down. You can, however, find extended play videos on youtube. For the sake of eliminating variables, I'd choose the same video at all times, run the tests in the same location (preferably at the same time of day), and turn on all services (NFC, GPS, bluetooth, gestures, etc) except wifi. Wi-fi would give you too steady of a signal and the battery is generally more stressed when running on cellular. That being said, that much cellular data being streamed over the course of days may use up a lot of data. If you decide to run these tests on wifi, the time of day you run them becomes irrelevant - you can run them at will. If you plan on running the tests that many times, this project should take you months. I would think 3 times would be adequate enough to determine an average life-cycle. Popular batteries out there are listed in the accessories thread. They shouldn't be hard to find.

yes, i was thinking about using video looper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...in.videolooper) and running same video till battery dies. But i was thinking about turning off all radios to make sure it does not effect result (as it can be with difference in gsm signal power)
Last edited by JoeeeWhite; 28th May 2014 at 01:39 PM.
28th May 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #4  
Christopher3712's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Colony, TX
Thanks Meter: 146
 
911 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeeWhite

yes, i was thinking about using video looper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...in.videolooper) and runs same video till battery dies. But i was thinking about turning off all radios to make sure it does not effect result (as it can be with difference in gsm signal power)

The only problem there is that this will give you the least accurate amount of time that one can use a phone (with screen-on). In a real-world application, it's unlikely someone will run a phone on airplane mode from 100%-0%. If that's not the result you're looking for and the test is simply to see which battery lasts longer, then a radio-free test environment is ideal.
29th May 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712

The only problem there is that this will give you the least accurate amount of time that one can use a phone (with screen-on). In a real-world application, it's unlikely someone will run a phone on airplane mode from 100%-0%. If that's not the result you're looking for and the test is simply to see which battery lasts longer, then a radio-free test environment is ideal.

Thanks for your comments!

So the best way would be to run several tests, probably as following:

1) test video playback time till 0%
2) regular test with radio and screen on/off (found app for that https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...attery.utility - the problem with it it stops at 15% charge. I want an app which goes down till device turns off - some batteries have been reported to work long time on 1% left due to not correct display of charge% left on the phone). I am also looking for other apps to run such mixed test.
3) test wifi file transfer time. - select a file and run download and upload till the battery goes off.

Any other recommendations please?
31st May 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Battery Full
here is a list of batteries i would like to test:

zerolemon
mpj
mugen power

Any other suggestions?
31st May 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
Onite

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, galaxy s5, mah
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Accessories by ThreadRank