Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Best Battery for S5

OP JoeeeWhite

28th May 2014, 10:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

16 posts
Hello Guys,

I would like to make a test comparison of all batteries available for S5 to see which one is the best.

The way i want to do it is following:

- charge each battery to 100%.
- make a HD video run endlessly till S5 turns off.
- repeat for 10-20 times on each battery to see how it degrades after charges.

I am looking for app recommendations to do it and also for battery suggestions for the test.

Please submit your ideas and thoughts.
28th May 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag The Colony, TX
Thanks Meter: 153

920 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeeWhite

Hello Guys,

I would like to make a test comparison of all batteries available for S5 to see which one is the best.

The way i want to do it is following:

- charge each battery to 100%.
- make a HD video run endlessly till S5 turns off.
- repeat for 10-20 times on each battery to see how it degrades after charges.

I am looking for app recommendations to do it and also for battery suggestions for the test.

Please submit your ideas and thoughts.

I wasn't aware that you'd need to record HD Video to run it down. You can, however, find extended play videos on youtube. For the sake of eliminating variables, I'd choose the same video at all times, run the tests in the same location (preferably at the same time of day), and turn on all services (NFC, GPS, bluetooth, gestures, etc) except wifi. Wi-fi would give you too steady of a signal and the battery is generally more stressed when running on cellular. That being said, that much cellular data being streamed over the course of days may use up a lot of data. If you decide to run these tests on wifi, the time of day you run them becomes irrelevant - you can run them at will. If you plan on running the tests that many times, this project should take you months. I would think 3 times would be adequate enough to determine an average life-cycle. Popular batteries out there are listed in the accessories thread. They shouldn't be hard to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher3712 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712

I wasn't aware that you'd need to record HD Video to run it down. You can, however, find extended play videos on youtube. For the sake of eliminating variables, I'd choose the same video at all times, run the tests in the same location (preferably at the same time of day), and turn on all services (NFC, GPS, bluetooth, gestures, etc) except wifi. Wi-fi would give you too steady of a signal and the battery is generally more stressed when running on cellular. That being said, that much cellular data being streamed over the course of days may use up a lot of data. If you decide to run these tests on wifi, the time of day you run them becomes irrelevant - you can run them at will. If you plan on running the tests that many times, this project should take you months. I would think 3 times would be adequate enough to determine an average life-cycle. Popular batteries out there are listed in the accessories thread. They shouldn't be hard to find.

yes, i was thinking about using video looper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...in.videolooper) and running same video till battery dies. But i was thinking about turning off all radios to make sure it does not effect result (as it can be with difference in gsm signal power)
Last edited by JoeeeWhite; 28th May 2014 at 02:39 PM.
28th May 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #4  
Flag The Colony, TX
Thanks Meter: 153

920 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeeWhite

yes, i was thinking about using video looper (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...in.videolooper) and runs same video till battery dies. But i was thinking about turning off all radios to make sure it does not effect result (as it can be with difference in gsm signal power)

The only problem there is that this will give you the least accurate amount of time that one can use a phone (with screen-on). In a real-world application, it's unlikely someone will run a phone on airplane mode from 100%-0%. If that's not the result you're looking for and the test is simply to see which battery lasts longer, then a radio-free test environment is ideal.
29th May 2014, 12:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712

The only problem there is that this will give you the least accurate amount of time that one can use a phone (with screen-on). In a real-world application, it's unlikely someone will run a phone on airplane mode from 100%-0%. If that's not the result you're looking for and the test is simply to see which battery lasts longer, then a radio-free test environment is ideal.

Thanks for your comments!

So the best way would be to run several tests, probably as following:

1) test video playback time till 0%
2) regular test with radio and screen on/off (found app for that https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...attery.utility - the problem with it it stops at 15% charge. I want an app which goes down till device turns off - some batteries have been reported to work long time on 1% left due to not correct display of charge% left on the phone). I am also looking for other apps to run such mixed test.
3) test wifi file transfer time. - select a file and run download and upload till the battery goes off.

Any other recommendations please?
31st May 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Battery Full
here is a list of batteries i would like to test:

zerolemon
mpj
mugen power

Any other suggestions?
31st May 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #7