Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,114 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting Xperia T Build 9.2.A.1.205 - Help please!!!

Tip us?

H-GR
Old
(Last edited by H-GR; 31st May 2014 at 03:15 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Rooting Xperia T Build 9.2.A.1.205 - Help please!!!

Hello

I am new to this forum and though I build PC's and write some code (albeit in VBA / SQL), I have no past experience of Android and hence the call for help!

My situation: I have a Sony Xperia T (LT30p & NOT rooted) which I recently upgraded and so now stands at Android 4.3 and Build 9.2.A.1.205. Like most I use it to access emails and for this I had 3 email widgets on my desktop(s), 2 of which were gmail 1 for private emails and one for work. The latter at some point called me to update the Device Policy and that is where many things started going wrong.

In short, after the update for some reason the email widgets stopped working, I deleted them to re-install, only to find they would no longer appear on my desktop (..?). So I decided to reset the phone to the factory settings. I copied all my documents across to a PC and pressed reset... only to remember that I had not backed up my contacts/sms list!

The phone now works great, the email widgets are back on, but I have no contacts (unfortunately I had not backed them up on Google, etc). So for the past few days I have been looking for a way to restore them and found an app that promises it will do so (MYjAD Android Data Recovery, or if you know of a better one please do advise!), only it needs root access to do so!

I have found places that advise 'single button' rooting, but they do not cover my build version. I have looked at various posts here at how to do so, but I will admit I am getting lost! For example even looking at the '{ROM}[STOCK][T][JB 4.3][9.2.A.1.205] Official Firmware - Rooted&Deodexed 03/04' thread here, what is a CWM, a dalvik cache, or PhilZ Touch? Moreover, what is an FTF (so far I understand this as a way to login in unrestricted mode, though unsure exactly what benefits this would have) and I am assuming it is different to rooting (which I so far believe would make the user a super-user, so would have unrestricted rights too), so why would one have a rooted phone with locked FTF/bootloader? Am I loosing the plot, or what?

All that aside though, what I really would appreciate is someone explaining is easy and detailed steps how I can root my phone (or even better how I can 'undelete' my contacts/sms lists?!!) so that I may try to recover what I have rather foolishly lost!

Many thanks

H-GR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
...alternatively could someone please advise where I could find a listing / thread where it is all explained in a bit more detail?
Thanks