Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 40,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I want to use my Nexus 7 (2012) more

Tip us?

arrows83
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default I want to use my Nexus 7 (2012) more

Hey all, I've had my Nexus 7 Wi-fi (2012) as a gift when it was first released. I rarely use it and would like to use it more. I feel like everything I do is on my phone or laptop, but would like to accommodate it all on the tablet. Mostly downloading, blog/social media posting, photo editing, nothing fancy but I prefer multitasking.

Also, I would like to try a ROM that gives me a snappier feel, but the problem is I have multiple user profiles (Wife, daughter, myself) and would hate to lose their settings/files. So what would be the easiest route to doing this?

I've seen various posts about how people use their tablets but I just don't use it due to the ease of use of having my computer at the ready.

Thanks!

treChoy
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrows83 View Post
Hey all, I've had my Nexus 7 Wi-fi (2012) as a gift when it was first released. I rarely use it and would like to use it more. I feel like everything I do is on my phone or laptop, but would like to accommodate it all on the tablet. Mostly downloading, blog/social media posting, photo editing, nothing fancy but I prefer multitasking.

Also, I would like to try a ROM that gives me a snappier feel, but the problem is I have multiple user profiles (Wife, daughter, myself) and would hate to lose their settings/files. So what would be the easiest route to doing this?

I've seen various posts about how people use their tablets but I just don't use it due to the ease of use of having my computer at the ready.

Thanks!
I was in the same boat as you. I didn't use my Nexus 7 at all, because over the year after I got it, it began to slow down tremendously. It was laggy, and just very unpleasant to use. But then, I read about this thing called F2FS, which basically formats the N7 in a different way, making it much faster and much more optimized. Unfortunately, with formatting comes the erasing of data. To be clear, all pictures, movies, apps, etc., stored on you N7 are deleted during this process. It formats your internal memory. But for me, it was so worth it. With a KitKat ROM and an optimized kernel, and of course with the F2FS formatting, my N7 flies again. I highly recommend it.

Ex-Hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I absolutely agree with @treChoy. F2FS does rejuvenate Nexus 7(2012). I use an ALL-F2FS version of CarbonROM provided by @USBhost.
There are ALL-F2FS versions of CM11 and SlimKat among others.
I reccomend M-Kernel f2fs test 4 as the kernel.

PunishedSnake
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I have done the f2fs conversion needless to say it has rejuvenated my n7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3188
Yes, a clean install of stock or a ROM can speed things up again.

Also, when I got my N7 it seemed to fly.....cause it had higher specs than my phones, and now.....it seems slow, compared to my new phones. Its an illusion. Lol. The N7 didn't slow down, its just now slower than my phone....so it seems that way.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips