Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,007 Members 40,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S4 hangs in Odin - stuck on SetupConnection

Tip us?

MindController
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Galaxy S4 hangs in Odin - stuck on SetupConnection

Hey,

So I successfully rooted my galaxy s4 vruemk2 using saferoot. Then I did goomanager and tried installing a custom recovery. May have been twrp. Anyway, I tried rebooting into recovery and I get the downloading do not turn off target message. Red text at top left saying could not boot.

I tried following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

I downloaded both the No-Wipe and full wipe versions. And the PIT file. I started with using the full wipe version. I include the PIT file linked there. Odin hangs at setupconnection. So I wait 5 minutes then 10 then 15 and still stuck there. So I pull the battery, reboot into download/recovery and try again. This time using the No-Wipe version. It starts to show a progress bar on the phone but then fails citing a misssing PIT file. So I go through it again. This time using the PIT file. And what does it do? It hangs at setupconnection in Odin.

I go from Odin 3.09 to 3.07 and try both processes again. Same result. I uninstall the samsung usb drivers, reboot the computer and reinstall. Try it again. Still hangs at setupconnection. Same error with No-Wipe if I do not include the PIT file. I run both versions of Odin as administrator, they both still hang at the same step. Even after trying multiple USB ports on my computer.

I'm completely in awe as to why I am the only person this will not work for.

Any suggestions?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindController View Post
Hey,

So I successfully rooted my galaxy s4 vruemk2 using saferoot. Then I did goomanager and tried installing a custom recovery. May have been twrp. Anyway, I tried rebooting into recovery and I get the downloading do not turn off target message. Red text at top left saying could not boot.

I tried following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

I downloaded both the No-Wipe and full wipe versions. And the PIT file. I started with using the full wipe version. I include the PIT file linked there. Odin hangs at setupconnection. So I wait 5 minutes then 10 then 15 and still stuck there. So I pull the battery, reboot into download/recovery and try again. This time using the No-Wipe version. It starts to show a progress bar on the phone but then fails citing a misssing PIT file. So I go through it again. This time using the PIT file. And what does it do? It hangs at setupconnection in Odin.

I go from Odin 3.09 to 3.07 and try both processes again. Same result. I uninstall the samsung usb drivers, reboot the computer and reinstall. Try it again. Still hangs at setupconnection. Same error with No-Wipe if I do not include the PIT file. I run both versions of Odin as administrator, they both still hang at the same step. Even after trying multiple USB ports on my computer.

I'm completely in awe as to why I am the only person this will not work for.

Any suggestions?
first mistake is you used goo manager and tried to load twrp.

you can't do this with mk2 phone (or any phone released after mdk)

there is a stickie in general forum that you should have read first thing in this S4 forum. I'm really not sure what to tell you now......
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat

MindController
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So yes. It appears that I followed the wrong guide to begin with. That's definitely on me. But putting that aside, should I just give up and say oh well, or is there any kind of helpful instruction that you can give me?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Quote:
So yes. It appears that I followed the wrong guide to begin with. That's definitely on me. But putting that aside, should I just give up and say oh well, or is there any kind of helpful instruction that you can give me?
hopefully some one else can jump into this. I don't have any knowledge what to do at this point.

are your sure the odin tar file downloads are good? Did you verify the md5 checksum of the download?

did you follow this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8Xw...ature=youtu.be

MindController
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
hopefully some one else can jump into this. I don't have any knowledge what to do at this point.

are your sure the odin tar file downloads are good? Did you verify the md5 checksum of the download?

did you follow this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8Xw...ature=youtu.be
It's the strangest thing now. Every time i attempt to download the files listed in the post, the checksum always comes back as something different then what the poster has on the page. This then of course fails in Odin. This whole situation keeps getting worse and worse. I've downloaded the same file 5 times so far, and each time the checksum is incorrect.

Should I be using some kind of download manager for a file like that? Would that make any difference?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Quote:
It's the strangest thing now. Every time i attempt to download the files listed in the post, the checksum always comes back as something different then what the poster has on the page. This then of course fails in Odin. This whole situation keeps getting worse and worse. I've downloaded the same file 5 times so far, and each time the checksum is incorrect.

Should I be using some kind of download manager for a file like that? Would that make any difference?
is md5 the same between all your download attempts. You are downloading to a computer right?

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:

I downloaded these files without issue and the md5s were correct as listed.

MindController
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
is md5 the same between all your download attempts. You are downloading to a computer right?

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

I downloaded these files without issue and the md5s were correct as listed.

Well I was able to finally get back into the phone and load another rom. Properly this time with Safestrap. However, upon going back through download mode to do anything associated with odin, it continues to get stuck on SetupConnection. I've disconnected all of my external harddrives and moved the usb cable in between at least 5 different usb slots, but it always yields the same result! Even after uninstalling and reinstalling the samsung usb drivers! Arghhh It's so maddening.

Odin just doesn't want to work for me whatsoever!

MindController
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well I was able to finally get back into the phone and load another rom. Properly this time with Safestrap. However, upon going back through download mode to do anything associated with odin, it continues to get stuck on SetupConnection. I've disconnected all of my external harddrives and moved the usb cable in between at least 5 different usb slots, but it always yields the same result! Even after uninstalling and reinstalling the samsung usb drivers! Arghhh It's so maddening.

Odin just doesn't want to work for me whatsoever!
Okay. Tried it on another computer. Worked fine. May have to reinstall stuff here. Sorry for the drama. But thanks for your patience

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Quote:
Okay. Tried it on another computer. Worked fine. May have to reinstall stuff here. Sorry for the drama. But thanks for your patience
Lots of little things can cause big headaches

sent by baja kitkat S4