Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 49,826 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Instagram Video Problem (Samsung Galaxy SII, Epic 4G)

Tip us?

cgoku
Old
(Last edited by cgoku; 31st May 2014 at 05:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Instagram Video Problem (Samsung Galaxy SII, Epic 4G)

5-31-2014 (Now Fixed!) See my fixed solution at far bottom.
Hello world of xda. After uploading a video to Instagram, the sound quality would reduce dramatically. It's like after it gets done uploading, the video will play back with veryyy reduced low quality sound. I tried to re-size, increase video quality, but regardless of what I do it still reduces the sound after uploading. Is there any fix for that?

My phone's information:

Company ~ Virgin Mobile
Model Number ~ SPH-D710
Android Version ~ 4.3.1
Baseband Version ~ S: D710.10.S.GB28
Kernel Version ~ 3.0.64-CM-gb4c422f
build01@cyannogenmod #1
CPU ~ ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7I)
Memory ~ 789 MB
CyanogenMod Version ~ 10.2-20140330-NIGHTLY-d710
Build Number ~ cm_d710-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I

AndyYan
Old
Thanks Meter 819
Wrong forum. We have Epic 4G (SPH-D700) here and you're an Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710).
Nevertheless, are you sure that the reduced quality isn't caused by the software itself? It's pretty typical for softwares to reduce upload quality to save data.

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

Current devices:
Google Nexus 4 (CM11 Nightly)
Sony Xperia SP (CM11 Nightly)
Google Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi) (CM11 Nightly)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (Null_ Build 23)
HTC Incredible S (CM11 Unofficial)
Nokia N97-1 (RM-505 22.0.110 Pre-Hacked)

Quote:
Multi-core smartphones are like M&Ms:
They don't melt on the store shelf... Just in your hands.

cgoku
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
Wrong forum. We have Epic 4G (SPH-D700) here and you're an Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710).
Nevertheless, are you sure that the reduced quality isn't caused by the software itself? It's pretty typical for softwares to reduce upload quality to save data.

I don't know, maybe? It's been doing this since the first day release of Instagram's video record for Android. I had the official firmware on my phone, Jelly Bean, before rooting and changing to Cyanogen Mod. But yeah, I'm starting to think it's Instagram's app that's doing this.

AndyYan
Old
Thanks Meter 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoku View Post
I don't know, maybe? It's been doing this since the first day release of Instagram's video record for Android. I had the official firmware on my phone, Jelly Bean, before rooting and changing to Cyanogen Mod. But yeah, I'm starting to think it's Instagram's app that's doing this.
Did a quick Google and found everyone saying that Instagram indeed reduces photo/video size before uploading.
It seems there are some tips to get around it though - help yourself and search for them, 'cuz I don't use Instagram and don't have easy access to Youtube (video tutorials). Good luck

Current devices:
Google Nexus 4 (CM11 Nightly)
Sony Xperia SP (CM11 Nightly)
Google Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi) (CM11 Nightly)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (Null_ Build 23)
HTC Incredible S (CM11 Unofficial)
Nokia N97-1 (RM-505 22.0.110 Pre-Hacked)

Quote:
Multi-core smartphones are like M&Ms:
They don't melt on the store shelf... Just in your hands.

cgoku
Old
(Last edited by cgoku; 1st June 2014 at 09:11 PM.) Reason: Added FL24 attach file, and an additional last note..
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
After one whole month of researching, I've found a solution to Instagram's major reduced audio quality problem! The culprit are the Baseband versions in GB27 & GB28!
Though I've fixed it by first upgrading to Cyanogenmod 10.2-20140330-NIGHTLY-d710, then flashed it with FL24, through ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.4.6!

Note: I have a rooted Epic 4G Touch, through Virgin Mobile. Also I'm not responsible if your device gets bricked. If you don't know what you're doing, then I most definitely guarantee that you first research before actually doing any of the following below.

Requirements/Summary (Steps in order):
Step 1: Make sure that your Epic 4G Touch is rooted first!
Step 2: Download & install a recovery firmware. I used: ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.4.6
Step 3: Upgrade to Cyanogenmod 10.2-20140330-NIGHTLY-d710
Step 4: Download FL24, the file's attached below the page.
Step 5: Flash FL24 through ClockworkMod's recovery mode.Note: This is risky! So yeah..
Reboot phone, then tada..enjoy!

Also note, GAPPS (aka..Google app store), is not installed with this version of CyanogenMod.. & you may encounter a MMS problem through this version of Cyanogenmod. Fix for the MMS is here: MMS Fix Though ANY problem can be fixed by researching through sources! Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip FL24.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.82 MB, 3 views)
Tags
instagram sound fix, instagram sound problem, instagram sound quality, instagram sound reduced, instagram video problem