Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,968 Members 42,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] problem restoring a safestrap backup

Tip us?

biikman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] problem restoring a safestrap backup

my phone is a Galaxy S4 on kitkat rooted via surge's method..

After editing the build file for a tweak and rebooting my s4, it won't boot. I can get into recovery mode, so I went into safestrap 3.72 and selected restore to restore a backup I made a few days ago. it started fine, but now appears to be stuck for the last hour. the progress bar at the bottom is al lthe way to the end but it is still showing "restoring cache". not sure how long I should wait until I give up on it, and if I forcibly stop it will it mess things up even more?
thanks,
Dave

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by biikman View Post
my phone is a Galaxy S4 on kitkat rooted via surge's method..

After editing the build file for a tweak and rebooting my s4, it won't boot. I can get into recovery mode, so I went into safestrap 3.72 and selected restore to restore a backup I made a few days ago. it started fine, but now appears to be stuck for the last hour. the progress bar at the bottom is al lthe way to the end but it is still showing "restoring cache". not sure how long I should wait until I give up on it, and if I forcibly stop it will it mess things up even more?
thanks,
Dave
Unfortunately. ..3.72 safe strap was for att s4 and has several issues with verizon. Restore a backup maybe one of those. Hash code doesn't really offer us any support for Verizon issues with att release.

sent by baja kitkat S4
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

biikman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Unfortunately. ..3.72 safe strap was for att s4 and has several issues with verizon. Restore a backup maybe one of those. Hash code doesn't really offer us any support for Verizon issues with att release.

sent by baja kitkat S4
ok, thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I'm doing a full reinstall.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 805
Quote:
ok, thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I'm doing a full reinstall.
I will probably verify if this an issue before I do baja rom update this weekend. Something we need to know that a backup is going to work.

sent by baja kitkat S4

biikman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
would it be possible to uninstall 3.72 after everything is set up with KK, root etc and install 3.71 and make a backup using this version, so that a restore is possible? I'm still learning all this so hopefully not a dumb question

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 805
Quote:
would it be possible to uninstall 3.72 after everything is set up with KK, root etc and install 3.71 and make a backup using this version, so that a restore is possible? I'm still learning all this so hopefully not a dumb question
Nope...3.71 won't run right at all on kitkat

sent by baja kitkat S4

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:

sent by baja kitkat S4
Using Hyperdrive 16.1 with safestrap 3.72. I have restored a backup a few times without issue.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

biikman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Nope...3.71 won't run right at all on kitkat

sent by baja kitkat S4
so is there a way at this point on KK with safestrap 3.72 to be able to back up and restore reliably using any method?

thx

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
so is there a way at this point on KK with safestrap 3.72 to be able to back up and restore reliably using any method?

thx

Like I said above, I haven't had any problems backing up and restoring. The only "drawback" with 3.72 is you can only use the stock slot. Maybe your backup got corrupted somehow.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

biikman
Old
(Last edited by biikman; 31st May 2014 at 07:33 PM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
Like I said above, I haven't had any problems backing up and restoring. The only "drawback" with 3.72 is you can only use the stock slot. Maybe your backup got corrupted somehow.
with that in mind I did try again, but first I did a wipe then restore. Success this time. Since I don't install roms the stock slot issue isn't an issue for me.

thanks for everyones help and insight!

Dave