Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] problem restoring a safestrap backup

OP biikman

31st May 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Central NY
Thanks Meter: 5

50 posts
More
my phone is a Galaxy S4 on kitkat rooted via surge's method..

After editing the build file for a tweak and rebooting my s4, it won't boot. I can get into recovery mode, so I went into safestrap 3.72 and selected restore to restore a backup I made a few days ago. it started fine, but now appears to be stuck for the last hour. the progress bar at the bottom is al lthe way to the end but it is still showing "restoring cache". not sure how long I should wait until I give up on it, and if I forcibly stop it will it mess things up even more?
thanks,
Dave
31st May 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #2  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834

2,451 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biikman

my phone is a Galaxy S4 on kitkat rooted via surge's method..

After editing the build file for a tweak and rebooting my s4, it won't boot. I can get into recovery mode, so I went into safestrap 3.72 and selected restore to restore a backup I made a few days ago. it started fine, but now appears to be stuck for the last hour. the progress bar at the bottom is al lthe way to the end but it is still showing "restoring cache". not sure how long I should wait until I give up on it, and if I forcibly stop it will it mess things up even more?
thanks,
Dave

Unfortunately. ..3.72 safe strap was for att s4 and has several issues with verizon. Restore a backup maybe one of those. Hash code doesn't really offer us any support for Verizon issues with att release.

sent by baja kitkat S4
31st May 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Central NY

50 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Unfortunately. ..3.72 safe strap was for att s4 and has several issues with verizon. Restore a backup maybe one of those. Hash code doesn't really offer us any support for Verizon issues with att release.

sent by baja kitkat S4

ok, thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I'm doing a full reinstall.
31st May 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #4  
Flag Decatur

2,451 posts
Quote:

ok, thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I'm doing a full reinstall.

I will probably verify if this an issue before I do baja rom update this weekend. Something we need to know that a backup is going to work.

sent by baja kitkat S4
31st May 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Central NY

50 posts
More
would it be possible to uninstall 3.72 after everything is set up with KK, root etc and install 3.71 and make a backup using this version, so that a restore is possible? I'm still learning all this so hopefully not a dumb question
31st May 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #6  
Flag Decatur

2,451 posts
Quote:

would it be possible to uninstall 3.72 after everything is set up with KK, root etc and install 3.71 and make a backup using this version, so that a restore is possible? I'm still learning all this so hopefully not a dumb question

Nope...3.71 won't run right at all on kitkat

sent by baja kitkat S4
31st May 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,014 posts
More
Quote:

sent by baja kitkat S4

Using Hyperdrive 16.1 with safestrap 3.72. I have restored a backup a few times without issue.
31st May 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Central NY

50 posts
More
Quote:

Nope...3.71 won't run right at all on kitkat

sent by baja kitkat S4

so is there a way at this point on KK with safestrap 3.72 to be able to back up and restore reliably using any method?

thx
31st May 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,014 posts
More
Quote:

so is there a way at this point on KK with safestrap 3.72 to be able to back up and restore reliably using any method?

thx

Like I said above, I haven't had any problems backing up and restoring. The only "drawback" with 3.72 is you can only use the stock slot. Maybe your backup got corrupted somehow.
31st May 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #10  
OP Member
Central NY

50 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147

Like I said above, I haven't had any problems backing up and restoring. The only "drawback" with 3.72 is you can only use the stock slot. Maybe your backup got corrupted somehow.

with that in mind I did try again, but first I did a wipe then restore. Success this time. Since I don't install roms the stock slot issue isn't an issue for me.

thanks for everyones help and insight!

Dave
Last edited by biikman; 31st May 2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread