Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 49,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon store visit, advice needed. Unroot phone?

Tip us?
 
jhmn7
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default [Q] Verizon store visit, advice needed. Unroot phone?

Hey all, just want some friendly advice.

My wireless charging stopped working (please don't make fun of me for this) and I considering going into Verizon to talk to a rep.

My phone is out of warranty, and rooted running cm11. I figure because I'm out of warranty, I probably won't get a new phone/refurb phone. But I'm considering trying, just might luck out, ya know?

My question is this, since I don't go to Verizon stores. Do they care about rooting/roms? I've read mixed reports, and don't want to go to the hassle of going back to stock, especially if I'm already SOL. And I have no idea how to get back to stock at this point. I've been running custom roms since I got the phone.

Thanks for the feedback!
 
famouscollin
Old
(Last edited by famouscollin; 28th May 2014 at 04:41 AM.)
#2  
famouscollin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 624
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmn7 View Post
Hey all, just want some friendly advice.

My wireless charging stopped working (please don't make fun of me for this) and I considering going into Verizon to talk to a rep.

My phone is out of warranty, and rooted running cm11. I figure because I'm out of warranty, I probably won't get a new phone/refurb phone. But I'm considering trying, just might luck out, ya know?

My question is this, since I don't go to Verizon stores. Do they care about rooting/roms? I've read mixed reports, and don't want to go to the hassle of going back to stock, especially if I'm already SOL. And I have no idea how to get back to stock at this point. I've been running custom roms since I got the phone.

Thanks for the feedback!
I would recommend making a backup
>flash a stock Rom that has reports of wireless charging working>check it if it still doesn't work. If it works I'd go thru trouble shooting in your Rom thread, If not I'd assume it's your hardware.(I'd make sure it's not your charger as well) And in that case return it to stock and return it to Verizon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app
I always thank those that help me, please do the same

Phone:S-off HTC DNA
Rom: ViPEr DNA
Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Latest radios and firmware
 
jhmn7
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried both venom and cm11, so I guess I'll flash back to stock and make a trip to the store. Thanks again.
 
d08speed3
Old
#4  
d08speed3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 1,724
Join Date: Jul 2010
IMO Verizon associates are clueless. They can barely operate tablet they use to check you in the store. My speakerphone had blew out so I took my Rooted, unlocked, custom ROM phone in so they could see it. They didn't say anything. Worst case scenario they say your phone looks different... Just say its a icon pack theme you got off the play store. I've even taken my ladies phone to get looked at....they didn't notice anything. Hope you get your problem resolved!:thumbup:

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
His: Droid DNA
Hers: AT&T LG Optimus G
The Following User Says Thank You to d08speed3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
barcodelinux
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 95
Join Date: May 2008
I would not walk into a VZW store with a rooted phone looking for a refurb. Even if the rep is clueless and replaces your phone with a refurb phone, the refurb facility that gets your old phone will know it is rooted and charge your account several hundreds of dollars for the refurb'd phone that you got in the store. Then it is up to you to prove that it wasn't and try to get your old phone back.

Best thing to do is to do a recovery backup on the existing phone, return to stock, get a replacement, root, s-off, and install recovery, and restore the backup.
 
d08speed3
Old
(Last edited by d08speed3; 30th May 2014 at 02:15 AM.)
#6  
d08speed3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 1,724
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcodelinux View Post
I would not walk into a VZW store with a rooted phone looking for a refurb. Even if the rep is clueless and replaces your phone with a refurb phone, the refurb facility that gets your old phone will know it is rooted and charge your account several hundreds of dollars for the refurb'd phone that you got in the store. Then it is up to you to prove that it wasn't and try to get your old phone back.

Best thing to do is to do a recovery backup on the existing phone, return to stock, get a replacement, root, s-off, and install recovery, and restore the backup.
When a phone is received by the refurb facility, the phone is checked for three things and if its Rooted/Unlocked isn't one of them. They simply check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the phone has any physical damage, and if it powers on. I have friends that are/have been phone techs at Verizon and Sprint. All they do anyways is just reflash the phone. This is just my 2 cents and what I know. Now of you send a rooted/unlocked phone that has major damage you will be charged.... Not for root/unlocked reasons.



HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
His: Droid DNA
Hers: AT&T LG Optimus G
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d08speed3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jhmn7
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 43
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by d08speed3 View Post
When a phone is received by the refurb facility, the phone is checked for three things and if its Rooted/Unlocked isn't one of them. They simply check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the phone has any physical damage, and if it powers on. I have friends that are/have been phone techs at Verizon and Sprint. All they do anyways is just reflash the phone. This is just my 2 cents and what I know. Now of you send a rooted/unlocked phone that has major damage you will be charged.... Not for root/unlocked reasons.



HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
Thanks for the advice. Love your speed3. I used to have a 2007, right when it came out. Awesome car
 
d08speed3
Old
#8  
d08speed3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 1,724
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmn7 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Love your speed3. I used to have a 2007, right when it came out. Awesome car
Haha Thanks man. It's my baby. Fully bolted tuned on e85! Its a beast!

HTC DNA
LG Optimus G
His: Droid DNA
Hers: AT&T LG Optimus G

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


MultiROM Ported to the Moto E

Few categoriesof Android development are as intrinsically interestingas the ability to boot into multiple … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Control Google Play Wake Locks – XDA Developer TV

Xposed Modules are usually pretty simple. There are a few … more

Make Text Entry More Efficient with Macro Text Expansion

One of the best things about the modern day smartphone is its ability to save us … more

Fix KitKat WiFi Drops on Your Own

Despite introducing many useful features and overall great performance and enhancements,Android 4.4 KitKat … more