Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,964 Members 51,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally upgrading the old brick from cm10.1 to cm11

Tip us?

sinshiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Finally upgrading the old brick from cm10.1 to cm11

tried it briefly some time ago; lots of FCs. Sounds like things have improved and with didhiy's kernel, no reason not to upgrade. So, thanks to all the devs and users that continue to support this venerable device

Post 1/10

sinshiva
Old
(Last edited by sinshiva; 29th May 2014 at 03:32 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
minor update;

For my install, i used;

cm-11-20140527-NIGHTLY-epicmtd
notest-epicmtd-kk44-20140324
gapps-kk-20140105-signed

cm11 on the epic4g really has come a long way. Pretty much everything i use the device for works perfectly. Netflix works, but it did freeze up once. No problems with poweramp + voodoo sound. IPv6 tests all pass.

The one problem i'm not understanding is with OpenVPN. My router currently functions as an OpenVPN server and my phone connects to it with the 'float' parameter. While connected to the OpenVPN server via my LAN, the phone would previously get 7-8mbit down. With the same configuration on cm11 nightly, it currently tops out about 4.25mbit down. These results are seen from both TCP and UDP servers on the same router, and from 2 different APs. These results are seen with 'OpenVPN for Android' and are worse with 'OpenVPN Connect' using my TCP configuration.

[edit/] same performance switching from aes-128-cbc to bf-cbc

Arson Smith
Old
Thanks Meter 20
This may sound like a silly question to some, but...

What exactly is notest-epicmtd-kk44-20140324 for?

(I feel like this is one part that I don't know anything about...)

I wonder if that is something I should be using in addition to CM11 and gapps (?)

Thanks in advance if you can help me understand/learn about this.

sinshiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson Smith View Post
This may sound like a silly question to some, but...

What exactly is notest-epicmtd-kk44-20140324 for?

(I feel like this is one part that I don't know anything about...)

I wonder if that is something I should be using in addition to CM11 and gapps (?)

Thanks in advance if you can help me understand/learn about this.
I actually just flashed back the stock nightly rom to test whether the kernel impacted the wlan/openvpn performance, and it didn't. and when i was retrieving the link, i realized I was an update behind so i flashed that; notest-epicmtd-kk44-20140401-cma.zip via goo.im/devs/didhiy/sph-d700_cm-11.0 which also had no effect.

This is a custom kernel that supports the wolfson DAC in the phone, which when paired with the 'Voodoo Sound' app by Supercurio gives you greater audio output/clarity for higher impedance headphones. ie, my logitech triplefi's. the only app that seems to play every flac/alac file i throw at it and with DAC support is poweramp.

that said, it doesn't appear to have the voodoo color options enabled. the colors are more vibrant, but a little too blue i suppose in anticipation of the blue hues fading out. when i had a VC kernel with cm10.1, i noticed that with my phone the green was fading out, though the blues weren't too far behind. still, the colors are more vibrant, just slightly blue.

sinshiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
well, i flashed the 531 nightly on the off chance there was an improvement, but then went back to cm10.1; unfortunately the openvpn throughput was enough of a dealbreaker for the time being. that said, i'll still be lurking. thanks again for everyone's continued support.

(immediately after restoring 10.1, my openvpn throughput did go back up to 8mbit+ (of my 10mbit connection))