Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,410 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will OTA Kit Kat break stock unrooted image?

Tip us?

arcsum68
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Will OTA Kit Kat break stock unrooted image?

Pretty much what the title says.

I have Safestrap installed, but mostly use the stock non rooted image. I specifically set it up this way for Good compatibility, just like to keep the other image around for certain occasions.

Will it even work as is, or will it fail due to the modified bootloader?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Pretty much what the title says.

I have Safestrap installed, but mostly use the stock non rooted image. I specifically set it up this way for Good compatibility, just like to keep the other image around for certain occasions.

Will it even work as is, or will it fail due to the modified bootloader?
Can't go back and forth with safestrap and kitkat...ss 3.72 ....which is out for att..will not do rom slots only stock slot install is allowed...There is downgrade method that allows NC5 to downgrade to mk2....but you would have to reload any rom in Stock slot.

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1524

DONATE TO ME
My understanding of the reason that Safestrap 3.72 isn't released for our phone is that it doesn't support bootstrapping the slots.
If that's true, then you can't do what you want.
Also, if you upgrade, you'll get the Kit Kat kernel, which means that even if you get a slot to boot, you'll need to use bypasslkm to load the modules into that slot (otherwise, no wifi, etc.) But since you're not rooted, you can't run bypasslkm.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

arcsum68
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bummer. I guess its time to pony up for a wife tether app, which is really all I need root for anymore. I love the ROM's, but it's gotten to the point where I can make most of the stock image run well for me and still be compliant for work. If I didnt need good, none of this would even be a consideration.

Will the update take and "fix" Safestrap, or will I have to manually uninstall it again?

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1524

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Bummer. I guess its time to pony up for a wife tether app, which is really all I need root for anymore. I love the ROM's, but it's gotten to the point where I can make most of the stock image run well for me and still be compliant for work. If I didnt need good, none of this would even be a consideration.

Will the update take and "fix" Safestrap, or will I have to manually uninstall it again?
You'll need to uninstall Safestrap and probably unroot before the OTA will work.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1