FORUMS

Other than XDA (of Course), What’s Your Favorite Site That Covers Android?

There is a number of other great sites that cover … more

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more

YotaPhone 2 Pre-Order, Xperia Z1 Price Cut – XDA TV

Android Wear 5.1.1 OTA downloads are now available. That and much more news is … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Which root method best for unlocked Dev Ed currently on 4.2.2?

31st May 2014, 11:30 PM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
I've read through several root threads (mos by jcase I think) but want to confirm as of today which is best to root an unlocked dev ed maxx that is currently on 4.2.2?

Really appreciate any help -- thanks!

EDIT: My goal is to be rooted on 4.4 / 19.6.3
Last edited by reyxlp; 1st June 2014 at 12:03 AM.
 
 
31st May 2014, 11:52 PM |#2  
hawkswind1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Since you're unlocked you can root in custom recovery. See second part of this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2645122
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkswind1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 11:56 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkswind1

Since you're unlocked you can root in custom recovery. See second part of this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2645122

Thanks for the quick reply -- sorry, I forgot to mention that my goal is to be rooted in 4.4.

Do I upgrade to 4.4 first and then root? Or root in 4.2.2 then upgrade to 4.4?

Links appreciated but I'll take any help you can spare...

Thanks!
1st June 2014, 12:04 AM |#4  
hawkswind1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
I'd upgrade first. You can root 4.4 and future updates in twrp. That's the beauty of being unlocked (on this device at least) not having to wait for root exploits.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkswind1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 01:14 AM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkswind1

I'd upgrade first. You can root 4.4 and future updates in twrp. That's the beauty of being unlocked (on this device at least) not having to wait for root exploits.

Okay one more question please -- took the update and rooted with TWRP everything worked great EXCEPT I just realized it didn't update to 4.4, it just updated to a higher 4.2.2.

Now the update for 4.4. is downloading OTA.

Can I install this OTA, having installed TWRP and rooted? Or will that brick my phone?

I feel like you need to be 100% stock to take OTA's, no?

If so, how do I get back stock?
1st June 2014, 01:50 AM |#6  
hawkswind1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyxlp

Okay one more question please -- took the update and rooted with TWRP everything worked great EXCEPT I just realized it didn't update to 4.4, it just updated to a higher 4.2.2.

Now the update for 4.4. is downloading OTA.

Can I install this OTA, having installed TWRP and rooted? Or will that brick my phone?

I feel like you need to be 100% stock to take OTA's, no?

If so, how do I get back stock?

You'll need to flash the stock recovery back to get the ota to install. Once you're on 4.4 there's yet another 4.4 update/patch that came out a few weeks ago. Might as well Install that too before flashing twrp again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes