Ok Mad Catz, I tried to embrace you...I really did

30th May 2014, 06:24 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

168 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo

I agree about not being able to unbrick it ourselves is an issue.. but it doesn't make it less future proof IMO.
Having an active community helps.. but with android/nvidia in it, we/I can 'piggy back' on other groups for info ie shield, ouya, other T4 products.

As you may or may not know, there are very few pieces of technology that have stood the test of time.
I can name a few from personal experience here:
Commodore 64
MS Windows XP
Nokia N900 & Maemo(native linux)

The mojo & CTRLR are so versatile, I'm sure I'll still be using it well after it's product lifecycle... that's future proof!

It is funny you mention the C64. Not only do I know it...I lived it I ran a BBS for many years and was a part of a demo group in the mid-late 80's for the C64. I know all well how it stood the test of time, and still own and use one (and develop on it) today. It is well documented, I can fix them, mod them (now with SD2IEC and other neat stuff) and they will essentially last as long as the hardware does.

The Mojo IS a cool system, I have never said otherwise in regard to the hardware. But I honestly cannot say that it will stand any test of time...sadly. It is a flash in the pan as compared with the likes of the other items you mentioned, *especially* the C64. It almost feels like blasphemy to put the two in the same sentence

But, Mad Catz could definitely redeem themselves if they became a little more proactive in the area in which the system's target audience resides. Namely HERE, and in other forums concerning Android TV boxes. Maybe some of there techs can get involved in conversations, provide useful tips, and check with their senior technicians regarding in depth questions that we may have. As it stands now it is a ghost town. I wonder if the Mad Catz employees read these forums and chuckle at what suckers we are for buying in. I REALLY hope that is not the case.
31st May 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 165

532 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor

It is funny you mention the C64. Not only do I know it...I lived it I ran a BBS for many years and was a part of a demo group in the mid-late 80's for the C64. I know all well how it stood the test of time, and still own and use one (and develop on it) today. It is well documented, I can fix them, mod them (now with SD2IEC and other neat stuff) and they will essentially last as long as the hardware does.

The Mojo IS a cool system, I have never said otherwise in regard to the hardware. But I honestly cannot say that it will stand any test of time...sadly. It is a flash in the pan as compared with the likes of the other items you mentioned, *especially* the C64. It almost feels like blasphemy to put the two in the same sentence

But, Mad Catz could definitely redeem themselves if they became a little more proactive in the area in which the system's target audience resides. Namely HERE, and in other forums concerning Android TV boxes. Maybe some of there techs can get involved in conversations, provide useful tips, and check with their senior technicians regarding in depth questions that we may have. As it stands now it is a ghost town. I wonder if the Mad Catz employees read these forums and chuckle at what suckers we are for buying in. I REALLY hope that is not the case.

But you forget Zektor nothing nowadays is made to last, back in the 80 and 90 hardware was made to last 20 a 30 years, like the
Commodore 64 (and i have one with a floppy drive and a tape drive, and also had Commodore Amiga for years, still have a Amiga 2000 from
1987 and it still works.

But all the stuff that is now made is not made to last, they (the manufactures) want that you buy new hardware every view years, thats why
Android phones only get 1 a 1.5 years of updates if your lucky and then nothing, when a Samsung Galaxy S3 can run Android 4.4 KitKat easily.
31st May 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

168 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaWolf

But you forget Zektor nothing nowadays is made to last, back in the 80 and 90 hardware was made to last 20 a 30 years, like the
Commodore 64 (and i have one with a floppy drive and a tape drive, and also had Commodore Amiga for years, still have a Amiga 2000 from
1987 and it still works.

But all the stuff that is now made is not made to last, they (the manufactures) want that you buy new hardware every view years, thats why
Android phones only get 1 a 1.5 years of updates if your lucky and then nothing, when a Samsung Galaxy S3 can run Android 4.4 KitKat easily.

I can agree with you here. We live in a throw away society unfortunately. However, there are still items that are made to last, but they are "hidden gems" more or less. The vast majority of items are made like garbage, but every once in awhile you find something that is built like a rock. My Canon Powershot S80 comes to mind...which is actually quite a few years old now. Out of the items made today (in terms of these devices) the Minix is build VERY nicely, same with the Ouya. The Mojo is of decent quality, but it still feels like a hollow piece of plastic to me for some reason.
31st May 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 5

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor

I can agree with you here. We live in a throw away society unfortunately. However, there are still items that are made to last, but they are "hidden gems" more or less. The vast majority of items are made like garbage, but every once in awhile you find something that is built like a rock. My Canon Powershot S80 comes to mind...which is actually quite a few years old now. Out of the items made today (in terms of these devices) the Minix is build VERY nicely, same with the Ouya. The Mojo is of decent quality, but it still feels like a hollow piece of plastic to me for some reason.

Computer cpu's are built to last, just in the past they got outdated so fast. These days you can get a new cpu and be good for a very long time and it will outlast any other piece of computer equipment. I've actually never had a cpu go bad. But at the non component level, most consumer electronics have very short shelf life.
1st June 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #15  
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13

256 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaWolf

But you forget Zektor nothing nowadays is made to last, back in the 80 and 90.

I don't agree, there are still companies out there that make great and out lasting products!
They add extra features that others don't, yes it's more expensive but less disposable.. like the SID chip on the C64 and the BT4/USB3,etc on the MOJO... it didn't have to be there and it's really at the manufactures risk/expense because it's their profit margin that it effects.
But it gives the company integrity for not selling out like their cheaper competitors.

I think things now are built for the lowest common denominator and only the brave step out of that.
IE: mobile phones, In Australia, it's next to impossible to buy a new mobile with a keyboard
Anyway, it's interesting
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread