The best Micro SD Card for the Galaxy S5

Search This thread

petest

Dec 3, 2004
Surrey
Only just found this thread. Interesting to read that I'm not the only one having sd card problems.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

nalgrim

Mar 28, 2011
Timmins
I'm using the Sandisk ultra 128gb it's nice. I don't need super fast. I'm just happy I'm not stuck with apple anymore and I have more room than I've ever had

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: eyecon82
MB-MP64DA

I ordered the Samsung 64GB EVO 48MB/s Class 10 from Amazon. The model number is MB-MP64DA, and it has great reviews. I'll get it by Friday, so I'll definitely post some benchmark results by Saturday or Sunday.

I personally doubt I would need more speed than this. It should be fine even for 4K recording.

Samsung MB-MP64DA Benchmark Results

So i finally received my Samsung EVO 64 two days ago. As I promised, here are the benchmark results:

Read: 38.39 MB/s
Write: 12.35 MB/s

(See the attached screenshots)

I have also recorded my friends' entire soccer match yesterday in 4K without any issues, except for the phone itself overheating at one point which stopped the recording. Also, everything else has been running without a problem so far. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
So i finally received my Samsung EVO 64 two days ago. As I promised, here are the benchmark results:

Read: 192.76 MB/s
Write: 44.69 MB/s

(See the attached screenshots)

I have also recorded my friends' entire soccer match yesterday in 4K without any issues, except for the phone itself overheating at one point which stopped the recording. Also, everything else has been running without a problem so far. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T

the problem with that app is that it really can't recognize the external SD

compare the size of what that app lists as external & internal..EXTERNAL the same as INTERNAL....so essentially you are only measuring the internal memory speed...not of your new card

Reactions: BoomBucks
the problem with that app is that it really can't recognize the external SD

look at the size difference..it's the same as INTERNAL....so essentially you are only measuring the internal memory speed...not of your new card

Oh man, that's a shame. Could you please recommend a good benchmark app, so I can do a benchmark real quick and provide adequate info? I feel like an idiot now :(

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Oh man, that's a shame. Could you please recommend a good benchmark app, so I can do a benchmark real quick and provide adequate info? I feel like an idiot now :(

no need to feel like an idiot....that app shouldn't describe the internal sd as external sd

unless you are rooted, no apps will work since it cannot read/write to the external SD

if you are rooted, then install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

and then point the app to the custom path

Reactions: BoomBucks
no need to feel like an idiot....that app shouldn't describe the internal sd as external sd

unless you are rooted, no apps will work since it cannot read/write to the external SD

if you are rooted, then install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

and then point the app to the custom path

I remembered that the app listed 3 external SD cards when I first opened it, so I just reopened the app and repeated the test. I will now update my previous post with correct info.

Earlier today, I have also tried the app you just mentioned. It showed the final screen without requesting SU permission, saying the phone can already write to the SD card. Kudos to you for the information, eyecon82! :good:

Burley1

I was wondering if what BRAND, TYPE, AND CLASS will be useful for the Galaxy S5? I heard that the 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 chip is good but doesnt have the full 70mbps reading speed and 20mbps writing speed support on a galaxy s4. It would really help me decide if you suggest what kind of sd card will be fit for the GS5. Thanks!

Seems like a very simple type question.

Class Minimum performance Application
SDHC Speed Class 2.svg Class 2 2 MB/s SD video recording
SDHC Speed Class 4.svg Class 4 4 MB/s High-definition video (HD) recording including Full HD (from 720p to 1080p/1080i)
SDHC Speed Class 6.svg Class 6 6 MB/s
SDHC Speed Class 10.svg Class 10 10 MB/s Full HD (1080p) video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills (high-speed data bus)
UHS Class 1.png UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) 10 MB/s Real-time broadcasts and large HD video files (UHS bus)
UHS Class 3.png UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) 30 MB/s 4K video files (UHS bus)

I just buy class 10 cards.

gersla

Jun 1, 2012
Also looking for Micro SD Card for the Galaxy S5.
There are some models of SanDisk cards with big price range- some of them:
SanDisk Extreme-Up to 45/45MB/s** read/write speed (32 GB & 64 GB)
SanDisk Extreme Pro- Up to 80MB/s** read; up to 50MB/s** write speed (32 GB & 64 GB)

My question is, what is an optimal read/write speed recommended for our Galaxy S5?
Of course we can always buy a best one (festers) but why to pay more if slower might be good enough and allow smooth video recording and playback.
Normally I use 1080p video recording in HDR mode, some times slow/smooth video recording.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got my card today. Samsung micro SDXC UHS-I Pro Class 10 64GB. Read up to 70MB/s Write up to 20 MB/s.

The S5 is compatible with 128GB cards, but way expensive.
    I've used a SanDisk 64GB card for over a year with no issues. Before that a 32GB, which was the same. SanDisk have the largest market share in the UK by some margin (which aggrieves Samsung). I never did see intrinsically higher return rates on SanDisk cards or Samsung cards. Both brands are good, both make there own flash memory (Samsung would tell you they make ALOT of flash memory).
    You however get lots of fake SanDisk cards (better brand equity), I've even seen reputable retailers get duped, which tends to happen less with Samsung.
    Buy from a reputable retailer and which ever brand you choose you will be fine. I personally prefer SanDisk but I don't have a rational reason for it. 128GB will drop in price over the next 6 months (obvious really). So I'd save your money. Faster cards are better and for the small difference in cost it's worth it. Although be aware that you are not paying for better quality "memory" as per se but a faster controller.
    I was wondering if what BRAND, TYPE, AND CLASS will be useful for the Galaxy S5? I heard that the 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-1 chip is good but doesnt have the full 70mbps reading speed and 20mbps writing speed support on a galaxy s4. It would really help me decide if you suggest what kind of sd card will be fit for the GS5. Thanks!

I have a samsung 64GB. As for the class, it's always class 10, any lower and your giving away performance. As for the type, not sure what that is, for me the type is MicroSD, and all class 10 64gb microsds are UHS-1. I have never had any performance issues with my card but i know sandisk released a gold edition version of their 64gb card that gives an extra 10mb boost, but not sure if its worth it for double the price of any other 64gb, if not, 70mb/s is more than enough