Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Help! Stuck on Samsung boot screen!

OP Brantosapien

31st May 2014, 06:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605). Took the latest OTA update to VRUEMJ9. Have since rooted and installed SafeStrap and was happily running N3BULA ROM, when I decided to explore a bit and tried to flash Alliance ROM. Now I'm stuck on the Samsung boot screen and can go no further. I am able to access Android system recovery, but when I try to 'apply update from external storage' I get 'E:signature verication failed' message. Tried to flash to stock via Odin, but unsuccessful. Shows Added in Odin but nothing happens when I select the .pit file or the .tar file. This is a work issued phone, so any help to get up and running would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Stephen; 2nd June 2014 at 01:23 PM.
31st May 2014, 06:38 AM   |  #2  
dagger's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Medieval period.
Thanks Meter: 2,250
 
4,385 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantosapien

Have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605). Took the latest OTA update to VRUEMJ9. Have since rooted and installed SafeStrap and was happily running N3BULA ROM, when I decided to explore a bit and tried to flash Alliance ROM. Now I'm stuck on the Samsung boot screen and can go no further. I am able to access Android system recovery, but when I try to 'apply update from external storage' I get 'E:signature verication failed' message. Tried to flash to stock via Odin, but unsuccessful. Shows Added in Odin but nothing happens when I select the .pit file or the .tar file. This is a work issued phone, so any help to get up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Have you performed a "wipe data" option from the recovery after flashing the alliance ROM (it wipes your user data)?
Because I just visited the alliance ROM thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2032447 and in the install instructions its mentioned so.
Better take a little time and properly read the install instructions during flashing..

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk
31st May 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger

Have you performed a "wipe data" option from the recovery after flashing the alliance ROM (it wipes your user data)?
Because I just visited the alliance ROM thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2032447 and in the install instructions its mentioned so.
Better take a little time and properly read the install instructions during flashing..

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

I never had that option. I've flashed numerous ROMS before and am pretty meticulous when it comes to following instructions. It appeared to have a custom flash script which allowed me to pick what I did and didn't want to install. I tried to keep it mostly stock and when it completed, it automatically rebooted (didn't give me an option to 'wipe data') and now leaves me stuck on the Samsung Boot Screen. I was able to flash the .pit file via Odin, but keep getting a 'MD5 hash value is invalid' when I try to flash the .tar file.
31st May 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #4  
dagger's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Medieval period.
Thanks Meter: 2,250
 
4,385 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantosapien

I never had that option. I've flashed numerous ROMS before and am pretty meticulous when it comes to following instructions. It appeared to have a custom flash script which allowed me to pick what I did and didn't want to install. I tried to keep it mostly stock and when it completed, it automatically rebooted (didn't give me an option to 'wipe data') and now leaves me stuck on the Samsung Boot Screen. I was able to flash the .pit file via Odin, but keep getting a 'MD5 hash value is invalid' when I try to flash the .tar file.

You should enter into recovery and then manually wipe data..
Also if that thing doesnt work, then have a look at this thread which explains how to go back to stock rom..
1st June 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #5  
btiu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 28
 
140 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
In addition,
A. Why doesnt Odin work?
Did you unextract the tar and pit from the rar/zip so that odin could recognize the files as suggested in dagger's link in section 1b step 2?
Did you install samsung drivers on your computer properly? You may use this toolkit for that

B. Rescue by CWM
Signature verification failed is caused (I think) by stock samsung recovery's choosiness, if you are sure you downloaded the zip correctly. What zip did you exactly try to flash?

So now, you may want to flash a cwm recovery or a kernel that contains cwm inside. Flashing usually uses adb using fastboot. Search "flashing a recovery image" or "flashing a kernel" where your chosen kernel should have cwm inside. cwm usually does not put out that signature verification error.

Remember:
You can access recovery mode through an app or by pressing a button combo when turning your phone on. Device specific.
Stock samsung recovery can wipe data.
CWM can also wipe data, and is the preferred installation method for most/all custom roms. And it can make a nandroid backup.
If ever you do choose to flash, you'll need the toolkit to install adb/fastboot drivers, but maybe since yours in locked bootloader the adb thing might not work.

Hope this helps
Last edited by btiu; 1st June 2014 at 01:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btiu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes