Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 43,113 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] help with prep for long overdue update

Tip us?

jayba420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] help with prep for long overdue update

Hi,

I posted several months ago that I am really behind on updates.

I am running
HTC Sense 4
Kernel ver
3.4.10-ga02d2c6
baseband
moonshine s-off

I broke my charging/usb port and couldn't connect to a pc at all because one of the data pins was broken and the DNA would not be recognized.
I was subsequently advised to not try to update to anything because if things went bad... i would have limited to no way to recover without being able to connect to a PC.

Well, I finally ordered a replacement charging port board and last night i disassembled the DNA, replaced the charging port, and im now back in business and it works

Could someone give me a clear concise answer to the following questions?

If now, lets say i want to try to install THIS ROM or one thats similar in the way that is very new... do i need to worry about the fact that im coming from a very old state? like, do i need to worry about reverting to some level of current stock before upgrading to a newer rom? If a rom's install instructions dont mention a kernel or baseband with specific download links and instructions... do i assume its included in the rom install or that the one i may have is good enough?

Im not sure how roms, radios, and kernels play together... and im hoping someone can briefly clarify or point me to a topic... i just want to make sure i dont follow the directions to install a rom but have something bad happen because other parts of my phones SW/FW are old.

thanks

famouscollin
Old
(Last edited by famouscollin; 1st June 2014 at 06:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 205
You are s-off, so you could attempt to run pretty much any combination of Rom/kernel/radio but your only problem at this moment were to be if you tried running a 4.09.605.1 based Rom on top of your current firmware then you might have issues. Being current would be a good place to start. I would start here sir, get to the latest firmware , radio s, etc.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740

[Latest OTA: 4.09.605.1] [Collection] HTC Droid DNA Firmware [Radio] [hboot] [RUU]
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Here's a good way to think about it too: your "rom" is your car(chassis) make her pretty, customize, etc.. your "kernel" would be your engine, fine tuned to perfection, torque, horse power, etc.. "radios" would be well your radio, signal strength, ability, and overall wireless capabilities of your phone.. I'd look into more in-depthe on all of these before you start playing around, most roms I've ran run fine for me on their stock kernel, but if you wanna fine tune that engine you can look into changing kernels..

I always thank those that help me, please do the same

Phone:S-off HTC DNA
Rom: ViPEr DNA
Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Latest radios and firmware

jayba420
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by famouscollin View Post
You are s-off, so you could attempt to run pretty much any combination of Rom/kernel/radio but your only problem at this moment were to be if you tried running a 4.09.605.1 based Rom on top of your current firmware then you might have issues. Being current would be a good place to start. I would start here sir, get to the latest firmware , radio s, etc.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740

[Latest OTA: 4.09.605.1] [Collection] HTC Droid DNA Firmware [Radio] [hboot] [RUU]

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Here's a good way to think about it too: your "rom" is your car(chassis) make her pretty, customize, etc.. your "kernel" would be your engine, fine tuned to perfection, torque, horse power, etc.. "radios" would be well your radio, signal strength, ability, and overall wireless capabilities of your phone.. I'd look into more in-depthe on all of these before you start playing around, most roms I've ran run fine for me on their stock kernel, but if you wanna fine tune that engine you can look into changing kernels..

Perfect. thank you very much for your explanation, makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to clarify