Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the front facing camera lousy?

Tip us?

lmacmil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Is the front facing camera lousy?

The front facing camera on my One X is horrible. The selfies are washed out and extremely low res, nowhere near the quality from my Droid Razr that has the same megapixel count. What could cause this? Does the proximity sensor have anything to do with the camera? I have a screen protector and it has a cutout for this sensor but I don't know if the cutout is big enough since I can't see the sensor. I have not taken a picture w/o the screen protector installed. Anything else I should be looking at?

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5300

DONATE TO ME
The proximity sensor has nothing to do with the front facing camera. In all honesty, it doesn't take great pictures. You might have some dust built up in there, try cleaning it out with a cotton bud.

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | CandyKat | Torched KK
S-off | 2.18 | TWRP 2.7.1.0
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

lmacmil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
The proximity sensor has nothing to do with the front facing camera. In all honesty, it doesn't take great pictures. You might have some dust built up in there, try cleaning it out with a cotton bud.
Thanks. I did that after doing a search on the issue (which I should have done before my post-my bad) and the difference is night and day. I never would have guessed a lens could get so dirty that it would literally make a camera unusable but now I know it can.