My wife and I both have a Samsung S3. It is my standard practice to throw on my own Recovery, snag the earliest possible nandroid backup, and then root. I like to run CM but my wife prefers the stock ROM. With my wife's S3 when a new OTA update is available and nagging her I would roll back to the backup that would take the OTA update. I haven't figure out why some do and some don't. Once fully updated I snap another backup and on she rolls.
Now my problem and you've probably already figured it out. I am getting a Status 7 on just about anything I do. I tried tons of stuff and all of it resulted in a Status 7. This is the first time that I have to ask for Android help because I don't understand the moving parts of the problem I'm having. Any pointers would really help.
I would like to list everything I tried, but I'm not sure I would paint an accurate picture since I was furiously searching and trying things in any fleeting direction yesterday for over 5 hours. I can list some bullet points, but don't assume any of them are fully explored, or done in proper order.
- I read about knox'd firmware and ROMs. I'm not certain if that's related to my problem space.
- I read something about RUU, but I seemed to have lost the bead on that one.
- I could comment out the assert that is failing, but that is a huge risk that I'm not sure I want to take unless I can get out of it.
- I upgraded to latest CWM and the status 7 still happens.
- I have done factory resets and the status 7 happens.
- I'm not exactly clear on what I did, but I recall wondering what had changed to cause the status 7 because I couldn't do updates from old backups that I used to be able to do updates from. It's like something changed on the phone.