Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,627 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Builder Question

Tip us?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudeke View Post
i spent all afternoon trying to fix a problem that amounted to an errant quotation mark in my script (and i knew it was something like that too. too many years of non-terminated string errors to not look there first)
You need an editor with syntax highlighting.

psudeke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036 View Post
Hey @psudeke you ever need any help with anything to do with source or git let me know

I am also willing to help out

and just a FYI be careful of @sbdags LOL

Just kidding....

Let me know thx Josh
thanks lj, getting a little more familiar with git is definitely on my radar. conceptually it makes perfect sense, but from the little poking around i've done with it, i need to get a little smarter for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
You need an editor with syntax highlighting.
totally agree with you there. on the windows side, i always use notepad++, but i haven't found a good equivalent on ubuntu yet. i'm using kate(?), or whatever the default editor is that comes with the KDE desktop. it serves it purpose, but it doesn't seem that robust. i have to keep digging around

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2367
Quote:
on the windows side, i always use notepad++, but i haven't found a good equivalent on ubuntu yet. i'm using kate(?), or whatever the default editor is that comes with the KDE desktop. it serves it purpose, but it doesn't seem that robust. i have to keep digging around
You might like "geany" with this addition: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2607485

Many Linux/Unix pros use vim or emacs, which are as powerful as they are hard to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

psudeke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
You might like "geany" with this addition: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2607485

Many Linux/Unix pros use vim or emacs, which are as powerful as they are hard to learn.
Thanks, I'll check that one out too. I put Sublime 3 on this morning, it's a step up for sure and i don't think the learning curve on it is too step

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2367
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that one out too. I put Sublime 3 on this morning, it's a step up for sure and i don't think the learning curve on it is too step
Sublime looks nice, but I'm not going to pay for a text editor.

lj50036
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1210

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ahh, thanks sbdags! that fixed the issue with ROM2SD. i got that impression when i pulled the preinit and saw it only had an entry for internal. but, i'm still very much in a learning phase so i didn't want to jump to a conclusion.

and after getting crombi to boot on external, i swapped sd cards and my build of CM11 actually booted! now the real learning process begins as i figure out how to customize it.

Thanks again to both you and @_that, you guys are the best
I will tell you after 8 months of mess about with this stuff, I too am still in the learning phase, I have a feeling it will never end

The learning that is LOL

Thx Josh

psudeke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Sublime looks nice, but I'm not going to pay for a text editor.
LOL, me neither. Never looked at the licensing agreement until after you said that. Installing geany now...

LetMeKnow
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
LOL, me neither. Never looked at the licensing agreement until after you said that. Installing geany now...
I using vim and like it...

The Following User Says Thank You to LetMeKnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]