Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 52,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ebay Spigen case copies

Tip us?

Lopan12
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Well, i got my Chinese replica. Without an actual spider, I can only guess at the differences... Anyone have a slim armor they didn't want/like they would sell me for cheap? Then I could do a side by side... I wonder if spigen would send me one so I could objectively determine why/if theirs is better...

eric150
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopan12 View Post
Well, i got my Chinese replica. Without an actual spider, I can only guess at the differences... Anyone have a slim armor they didn't want/like they would sell me for cheap? Then I could do a side by side... I wonder if spigen would send me one so I could objectively determine why/if theirs is better...
I got a fake one and you can't even plug the micro usb cable or any headphones in.

Lopan12
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric150 View Post
I got a fake one and you can't even plug the micro usb cable or any headphones in.
I didn't have any problems with either of those...but i may just have slimmer plugs, I don't think I tried the USB cable that came with it though, just the one by my bed (I have chargers and cables all over the house...). Compared to some review shots of the spigen, they look the same size/shape.

Off the bat, without a real one to compare to, here's what I identified as squirley:
No authentication certificate
Mold flashing around the camera, flash, mic holes (but not the usb or headphone), and sides (not top and bottom bumper though, just under the plastic piece and where the rubber is shiny). Due to it being rubber, it was very difficult to cut off, even with a new exacto blade.
The amount of flashing was different between the two I got, one had less (but still there) than the other.
Tooling for "Air Cushion" was there, but there's no indentation where there should be.
Power button requires very firm push (maybe too much space?)
Metallic green color is painted on a silver colored plastic (there's a small rectangle where it was probably held inside). Yellow is molded that color
Genuine spigen backing has a big sticker covering the inside where this might be...dunno.

Assumptions I am making:
Hard plastic sounds more brittle than I would imagine it being, but a video review I found where he takes it off, it sounds the same when tapped and dropped on the table.
Rubber might be stiffer

Pros-ish:
Camera and flash holes align, buttons aligned (other than long travel for power). Can't tell if mic aligns, but it looks like it.
Colors other than original metallics. Might be able to atleast swap plastic for different looks. Its still hard plastic, so it will protect it [probably] the same if using original TPU liner.

Can't comment on texture of either material in comparison to Genuine.

Honestly, for $5, it's not that bad a case...I'd have to have a real one to give a good comparison. When I get home, I'm going to see how a hot knife does with the flashing.