Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Slow 4G speeds on Note 3

OP moejoe88

28th May 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
I recently gave the wife my S4 and got the Note 3. My suspicion that 4G LTE speed with the Note was confirmed when I ran a speedtest. I admit I'm not in a great coverage area, but I get about 14mbs download on the S4 with a Wilson booster. I know that's not much, but hey, at least I can watch a video without buffering. But with the Note I'm getting about 5mbs and sometimes the signal just drops out altogether and I have to toggle airplane mode to get it back. I'm running Hyperdrive RLS7 4.3 with MJE baseband. I've seen other threads talking about flashing different modems and wonder if that would help. Has anyone come across this issue? I'd hate to get rid of this phone, but 4G is all the internet I've got and these speeds are just to slow. Any help would be appreciated.
30th May 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #2  
Bsmith0731's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 67
 
473 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoe88

I recently gave the wife my S4 and got the Note 3. My suspicion that 4G LTE speed with the Note was confirmed when I ran a speedtest. I admit I'm not in a great coverage area, but I get about 14mbs download on the S4 with a Wilson booster. I know that's not much, but hey, at least I can watch a video without buffering. But with the Note I'm getting about 5mbs and sometimes the signal just drops out altogether and I have to toggle airplane mode to get it back. I'm running Hyperdrive RLS7 4.3 with MJE baseband. I've seen other threads talking about flashing different modems and wonder if that would help. Has anyone come across this issue? I'd hate to get rid of this phone, but 4G is all the internet I've got and these speeds are just to slow. Any help would be appreciated.

The connectivity on this phone is horrible. I've had mine since launch and I travel alot. Everywhere I go its spotty. I believe I'm done with the Verizon and Samsung Combo. They are horrible together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Bsmith0731 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 04:26 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 381
 
1,670 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith0731

The connectivity on this phone is horrible. I've had mine since launch and I travel alot. Everywhere I go its spotty. I believe I'm done with the Verizon and Samsung Combo. They are horrible together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Same here, told my wife this was my last upgrade for awhile. ..I lied. Moving away from Samsung ASAP. First and last Samsung product I buy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjh68 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh68

Same here, told my wife this was my last upgrade for awhile. ..I lied. Moving away from Samsung ASAP. First and last Samsung product I buy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input guys. Sad to say, I think you're right. Seems like the service with my razr maxx was a lot more reliable and faster. Shame, because this is a great device.
1st June 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Flag Jackson, TN
Thanks Meter: 5
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Flash different modem/radio if rooted for improved reception.
Are you rooted? If so, you may consider flashing a different modem/radio in Odin. I am currently running the MJ7 modem/radio on the KK NC2 and am very satisfied. If you are interested, check out the link below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...dem-radio.html
The Following User Says Thank You to woodjc01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjc01

Are you rooted? If so, you may consider flashing a different modem/radio in Odin. I am currently running the MJ7 modem/radio on the KK NC2 and am very satisfied. If you are interested, check out the link below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sam...dem-radio.html

Thanks, I'm willing to give anything a try. Really want to keep this phone. Had to take the S4 back from my wife in the meantime ... She was not happy.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes