Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 51,925 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][MAC OSX] Return to 100% stock / Unbrick - Very Easy!

Tip us?

TechSavvy2
Old
(Last edited by TechSavvy2; 4th March 2014 at 05:42 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
Default [GUIDE][MAC OSX] Return to 100% stock / Unbrick - Very Easy!

This is a quick guide for anyone who needs instructions on how to return to stock or unbrick using a Mac (OSX) as I know I've seen a lot of people ask how. Since I just got rid of my Windows machine permanently, I figure I'd share my methods with others.

THIS GUIDE CAN GLADLY BE ADDED TO OTHER "HOW-TO" GUIDES, AND I WILL DELETE THIS ONE AFTER THAT, IF NEED BE.

This is actually much much simpler than I originally thought it would be.

RETAIL EDITION INSTRUCTIONS

Downloads:
Heimdall: http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/ Credit Benjamin Dobell
Factory Images for VZW Note 3: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196106 Credit Beanstown106
Unarchiver (or equivalent): Search your Mac App Store or google search - Its free - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...25424353?mt=12

Pre-install and unpack stuff:

Double click and install Heimdall. Self explanatory instructions, nothing special. Reboot if requested.
Double click and install The Unarchiver. Also self explanatory instructions. Reboot if requested.
Double click the ALL_N900.....7z file from beans to extract the files out of it. It will become .tar.md5 file. (select open with -> Unarchiver if nec.)
Double click the .tar.md5 file you just created to extract its contents as well. This will become a desktop folder with the actual images inside it.
Move those factory images you just unpackaged to your root user folder (or wherever you choose for this magic to happen).

Open Terminal (comes pre-installed in OSX)

Ready to Rock-N-Roll:

DO NOT FLASH THESE YET, this is just to show you the commands you are performing.

Code:
heimdall flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin 
heimdall flash --MODEM modem.bin 
heimdall flash --SBL1 sbl1.mbn 
heimdall flash --DBI sdi.mbn 
heimdall flash --ABOOT aboot.mbn 
heimdall flash --RPM rpm.mbn 
heimdall flash --TZ tz.mbn 
heimdall flash --BOOT boot.img 
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img 
heimdall flash --PERSIST persist.img.ext4 
heimdall flash --SYSTEM system.img.ext4 
heimdall flash --CACHE cache.img.ext4
The reason you do not want to flash ^^^those yet is that Heimdall will reboot the phone between each flash, so why not just do it all in one command, right?

Here (make sure you get the whole thing, it scrolls to the right):

Code:
 heimdall flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --MODEM modem.bin --SBL1 sbl1.mbn --DBI sdi.mbn --ABOOT aboot.mbn --RPM rpm.mbn --TZ tz.mbn --BOOT boot.img --RECOVERY recovery.img --PERSIST persist.img.ext4 --SYSTEM system.img.ext4 --CACHE cache.img.ext4
I have not done this with retail version yet, only dev edition (instructions below).

All done. Make sure to boot to recovery and wipe data / factory reset before usage.

Enjoy.

DEV EDITION INSTRUCTIONS

Downloads:
Heimdall: http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/ Credit Benjamin Dobell
"Factory" Images for VZW Dev Edition Note 3: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196402 Credit Beanstown106 - created package
Unarchiver (or equivalent): Search your Mac App Store or google search - Its free - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...25424353?mt=12

Pre-install and unpack stuff:

Double click and install Heimdall. Self explanatory instructions, nothing special. Reboot if requested.
Double click and install The Unarchiver. Also self explanatory instructions. Reboot if requested.
Double click the DevEdition.7z file from beans to extract the files out of it. It will become .tar.md5 file. (select open with -> Unarchiver if nec.)
Double click the .tar.md5 file you just created to extract its contents as well. This will become a desktop folder with the actual images inside it.
Move those factory images you just unpackaged to your root user folder (or wherever you choose for this magic to happen).

Open Terminal (comes pre-installed in OSX)

Ready to Rock-N-Roll:

DO NOT FLASH THESE YET, this is just to show you the commands you are performing.

Code:
heimdall flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin
heimdall flash --BOOT boot.img
heimdall flash --MODEM modem.bin
heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img
heimdall flash --SYSTEM system.img.ext4
heimdall flash --CACHE cache.img.ext4
The reason you do not want to flash ^^^those yet is that Heimdall will reboot the phone between each flash, so why not just do it all in one command, right?

Here (make sure you get the whole thing, it scrolls to the right):

Code:
 heimdall flash --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin --BOOT boot.img --MODEM modem.bin --RECOVERY recovery.img --SYSTEM system.img.ext4 --CACHE cache.img.ext4

All done. Make sure to boot to recovery and wipe data / factory reset before usage.

Enjoy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TechSavvy2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmichaels1982
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Default That was a really good post

Thank you for awesome guide. I have been struggling with mac for a really long time, I had to bootcamp for all of my Android needs. This definitely starts to break that barrier.
Ask not what your developer can do for you, ask what you can do for your developer.

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmichaels1982 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TechSavvy2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaels1982 View Post
Thank you for awesome guide. I have been struggling with mac for a really long time, I had to bootcamp for all of my Android needs. This definitely starts to break that barrier.
No problem. Same for me, this was my way of finally getting rid of my bootcamp partition

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3356

DONATE TO ME
Good Job!! Mac users needed some Luv
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TechSavvy2
Old
(Last edited by TechSavvy2; 1st March 2014 at 10:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Good Job!! Mac users needed some Luv
Speaking of which....didn't I read somewhere that fastboot commands actually work on Dev Edition devices? I'd just try it but I'm at work right now...

EDIT: Nope, they don't work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition

TechSavvy2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 471
OP modified to add full retail instructions as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechSavvy2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simply dave
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Hi, was wondering if this would work for my Sprint Note 3?

My phone is currently soft bricked.

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer this. Needless to say, it's been frustration so far with my limited knowledge.

simply dave
Old
Thanks Meter 8
???