Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 41,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root HTC One M7 from Android 4.4.2?

Tip us?

bloodymurderlive
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] Root HTC One M7 from Android 4.4.2?

I just updated to the latest software release, and I wanted to know if it can be rooted? He's my info:

HTC One M7
T-Mobile
Android 4.4.2
Sense 6.0
Software 5.14. 531.1

Main reason I want to root is to get tethering to work. After this update, EasyTether stopped working and it doesn't look like there is a solution in the near future. So ultimately, getting tethering to work is my main goal, here.

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymurderlive View Post
I just updated to the latest software release, and I wanted to know if it can be rooted? He's my info:

HTC One M7
T-Mobile
Android 4.4.2
Sense 6.0
Software 5.14. 531.1

Main reason I want to root is to get tethering to work. After this update, EasyTether stopped working and it doesn't look like there is a solution in the near future. So ultimately, getting tethering to work is my main goal, here.
Yes, it can be rooted. Just follow @mike1986. [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bloodymurderlive
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Yes, it can be rooted. Just follow @mike1986. [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock.
Thanks for the links! Only reason I'm confused is that, I always understood that the root process depends on the software version you are running... Is that no longer the case or something? I just really don't want to mess anything up...

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Thanks for the links! Only reason I'm confused is that, I always understood that the root process depends on the software version you are running... Is that no longer the case or something? I just really don't want to mess anything up...
I am currently running your version just rooted. I have root, custom recovery and stock rom. I think you may be referring to S-OFF, and the methods to achieve S-OFF has been somewhat hboot version dependent. My understanding there are now methods to achieve S-OFF even if your hboot is 1.5X. Whatever you decide, please read the threads/instructions completely and understand what you are doing each step of the way. Also, check the HTC One thread because the procedures for your phone are pretty much the same as Developers Edition and International phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bloodymurderlive
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Great, thanks. One last thing... Have you gotten tethering to work? That's the only reason I'm considering this.

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Great, thanks. One last thing... Have you gotten tethering to work? That's the only reason I'm considering this.
The mobile hot spot works just fine here. I am having issues with bluetooth drivers on my computer so I can not check it. The phone comes up alright and it is waiting on the computer. If I can resolve the issues I'll let you know.

bloodymurderlive
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Using Wifi Tether, or what?

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Using Wifi Tether, or what?
I am able to tether using the phone's WiFi without any special apps.