FORUMS

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more

YotaPhone 2 Pre-Order, Xperia Z1 Price Cut – XDA TV

Android Wear 5.1.1 OTA downloads are now available. That and much more news is … more

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Was just given this phone

1st June 2014, 10:20 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.
 
 
2nd June 2014, 12:31 AM |#2  
RegKilla's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.
2nd June 2014, 01:05 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

such a shame, the phone is officially as useless as a paperweight is where i live.
thanks for the quick response though.
3rd June 2014, 11:30 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.
4th June 2014, 12:19 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 355
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs

My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla

No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippui

Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

Not entirely true unless the Optimus has something holding it back.

There was a thread about the same question (and a sim card question) here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2771111

I tried Straight Talk's website and was almost able to activate my own Optimus G on their service. I linked the website in that thread ^^
5th June 2014, 08:45 PM |#6  
ChummyDays's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 175
 
More
Couldn't you sell it then buy a Verizon phone?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes