Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,862 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Was just given this phone

Tip us?

eraleubs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Was just given this phone

I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.

RegKilla
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs View Post
I was quite excited as I am using a really ****ty phone, but upon starting the phone I realized it was on the sprint network, which gets very unreliable service where I live.
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location. If it is, do I need to root the phone? The last phone I rooted with a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Wireless, and it was beyond easy.
I have also called both providers, Verizon and Straight Talk, both were very unhelpful

If its not usable, the phone is for sale to the first person with 75$ in the four corners area, usa.
No, you can only use the LG Optimus G LS970 on Sprint.

eraleubs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla View Post
such a shame, the phone is officially as useless as a paperweight is where i live.
thanks for the quick response though.

Kippui
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.

dopy25
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraleubs View Post
My main question is, is this phone, the LG Optimus G for sprint, capable of switching over to another phone carrier? Preferably Verizon prepaid or Straight Talk as they both work extremely well in my location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegKilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippui View Post
Technically you could if you had a donar phone to flash but no 4g lte though.
Not entirely true unless the Optimus has something holding it back.

There was a thread about the same question (and a sim card question) here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2771111

I tried Straight Talk's website and was almost able to activate my own Optimus G on their service. I linked the website in that thread ^^
Devices: Tmobile Wing (LOOONG GONE), [Huawei Mercury (dead), Evo 3D (retired after a long dirty life)] - Both Cricket - LG Optimus G Sprint ROM: PacMan 4.4.
and a few others in between.

ChummyDays
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Couldn't you sell it then buy a Verizon phone?

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk
Phone:
LG G3
ROM: Stock (for now)
Kernel: Stock (for now)
Tablet:
ASUS Nexus 7
ROM: MIUI v6
Kernel: Franco Kernel