Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tethering without my carrier knowing

Tip us?

Daedalus1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Tethering without my carrier knowing

I have a Samsung Ativ S which I have been using as a WiFi hotspot to connect my laptop and Nexus 7 to while I am working away. Recently got a text to tell me if I carry on I will be cut off on my mobile contract. I have a sim only deal that gives me unlimited calls, text and 3G internet so I'm a bit brassed off. It took an hour of searching to find the no teathering in the conditions of use.
Any way what I want to know are there any Windows Phone apps that will hide the teathering from my supplier? I am hung off a T Mobile/ Orange network.

Daedalus1

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2645
ATIV S can use wired tethering (search the forum for it, I posted instructions and drivers sometime last year). Even though my plan supports tethering, it's data-limited and when I use the wired tethering they don't list the data usage for it so I'm guessing it's not detectable, or at least not easily.

There's also an app called TetherX or something like that, which will act as a SOCKS proxy server on the phone; you then set your PC to use the phone as its proxy server. Won't work for non-proxy-aware apps but otherwise should do the trick.

Of course, this all assumes they're checking whether or not you're using the phone's tethering feature somehow, rather than doing something more nefarious like deep packet inspection. If they're checking "are you using the 'Internet Sharing' feature?" then I would expect them to just limit its usage; the phone has the capability to test whether or not tethering is permitted on your plan, and does so test by default. If they're using DPI and noticing traffic to/from PC clients (based on user-agent strings or something) then you're in trouble unless you can route all your traffic over SSL, which mostly thwarts packet inspection.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.